• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

high flares and a snorkle

randomxj

NAXJA Forum User
ok i cut ... alot no pics yet but anyway i mounted my yj flares with the top even with the body seem. Well nomater how high i get the water is just a little higher so i need a snorkle. im thinking of useing electrical pcv so i can mack nice bends (i dont care about looks just airflow) but i would like to see the under hood setup and how it comes though the fender. ive searched around alot but would like to see some more ideas before i go for it. thanks.

check out how the arb snorkles fit, youll have to get some kind of flanged piece or something for the airbox, i would reccomend going into the side of the airbox rather than the arb way (less bends in the pipe)

thats what i figured. whats the best way to move everything in the way winsild washer bottle ect?

sorry i forgot about the basics 88 cherokee I6 5 speed 4 door thanks

How about the Airflow snorkel that I have featured on my site.
It sits above the crease line and goes straight through into the engine bay.

Kensnorkel.jpg

Kensnorkel2.jpg

Dirk from www.dpgoffroad.com is about to start importing them

Hose does run into the back of the Airbox but have fitted them so it enters on the side near the front as well.
As for time, Dirk has received one from the company and last week still had not fitted it to a test XJ to make sure all is alright for USA models. I dont see a problem as it is made to clear the ABS pump on our RHD models which is still in the same position as yours if you have it fitted. As for time, the sooner he does the fitting the sooner he can place an order to have a batch sent over. Quite a few have put their hand up for one already but if you want one tell him before he does this order so he gets enough in.

I modified my ARB snorkel to go straight into the intake through a cone filter leaving enough room for the battery in a diesel tray. Some pics of the process can be seen here: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/madxj/files/Jeffs Jeep Mods/Air Intake/

Andreas is supposed to be getting an article together on www.madxj.com, but so far it has not been done. The only problem with my setup is that the flair cannot be moved up. I really like GoJeeps snorkel. Jeff

Go

I like that snorkel, being everything is in its stock home, including the washer bottle. I will have to call up Dirk as soon as some cash comes in. Thanks for the pictures and would like to see the airbox mods if you have some shots of it.

go jeep thats what i have been hoping to see im going to try to make somthing like that in the next few weeks i will be sure to post pics when im done. thanks

Jeff,

Great setup...I am actually after the same thing, I have the ARB and the canister...where did you get the hose / what kind is it and how does it all clamp together? Thanks for any help and how did you get your dealer to order the diesel trat?

P

I'd like to do the snorkel/air canister/dual battery set up too. Any more info on that canister and the rest of the install Jeff?

Well, the cannister is from Intense Air and was supposed to be kind of expensive and ceramic coated, but when it came, it was powdercoated black and came with something like a $40 return, so I was ok with that! The hoses are parts of various radiator hoses. I also added a 1" throttle body spacer during this fab and it was very hard to get a good path from the cannister to the intake while clearing the hood and intake manifold. I have three 90's connected with short pieces of 2.5" exhaust tubing and hose clamped. The top area is ovaled a bit to help clear the hood although it still rubs just a touch. The hose from the ARB was a left over piece from one of the radiator hoses, but fit real nice over the ARB and reduced to 2.5" ID where it needed to fit against the cannister. I cut the flange off the cannister and pop riveted a flat plate over the end of the cannister. Then I marked where the hose came in and cut a 2.5" hole in the plate for the air intake. Finally, I welded a short piece of exhaust tubing to the plate for the hose to clamp to. The pics tell the story. BTW, I removed the ABS stuff since I was installing a D44 front (no abs capability) and the cannister did hit the pump a bit when it was in place. I added an ARB pump where the ABS pump had been and it clears the cannister just fine. Oh, I had a friend who works in the parts dept. get me the Deisel battery tray. Hope this helps. Jeff

I've got my ARB compressor right next to the master cylinder too and I was wondering if the air canister would still fit.
Great info, thanks!

Back