• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tarnsmission and transfer case, help me out guys.

My Tranny gave up after 2400 miles road trip pulling 2500 lbs trailer. Started to leak sometimes at night on the road and didn't notice it. All of a sudden it wouldn't move anymore, pulled to the side and checked the fluid level, DRY .
Added some fluid and got on going 25mph with Tranny shifting out of it’s ass every 10 second.
Next day I put a wrench on every pan bolt and added a can of trans X, I can drive it but it slips all the time. TV cable is fine, no more bad leak but damage already done.
I don't think it's the TCU, whatever it is inside the Tranny, solenoid, clutch,.....
I have a very good transmission cooler, so it wasn’t overheating plus temp was 32* here.
Bought a new Tranny (and free transfer case) today with 80k miles on it from the junk yard for 300 bucks with 90 day warranty that I’m gonna swap tomorrow.
I don't think it's the TCU, whatever it is inside the Tranny, solenoid, clutch,.....

What’s the easiest way to do this? Any tips, tricks,...
I have a whole shop with lift, Tranny jack, air tools and years of experience but there is always something special about some cars.
It's an 88 Laredo with 4.0 and AW4.

I just found out that the Transfer case that came with the tranny is NP 231 J and mine is NP 242 AMC.

are both transmissions the same, any difference in splines?
If i swap the transfer cases from my old tranny to the new one, i'm all good or i have the wrong setup?

Please help since i have to do it fast . This is my only car at the moment.

here is the picture of the tags and the tranny. the first tag is mine, the second tag is 231.
on the second tag it says 89 and on my tag it says 88, are these the years or something else?
would my 242 case fit that tranny?
DSCN2072.jpg

DSCN2075.jpg

DSCN2074.jpg

i found a vin # 1J4FJ38L2LL137123 On my junk yard receipt.

Here is what i got from carfax:

VIN: 1J4FJ38L2LL137123
Year/Make/Model: 1990 JEEP CHEROKEE PIONEER
Body Style: 4 DR. WAGON/SPORT UTILITY
Engine Type: 4.0L L6 MFI FI
Manufactured In: UNITED STATES
Search Results: 6 records found in our database

Now is it 21 spline or 23?

Your 242 is 21 spline, the 231 may or may not be. Only way to tell for sure is to seperate the 231 from the transmission and count the splines.

If the transfers are different spline counts you could use the trans that came with the 231 if it's claimed as good.

If you end up switching from a 242 to a 231 you'll need to swap shifters,linkage and bezel.

i took of the new Tcase. 21 spline . i counted 3 times. hope this fits. gotta run to autozone to get some RTV.

Be back

Back