• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering pump...

WobblesXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My power steering pump is shot. I was wondering if there were any other options for pumps from other vehicles that were an "upgrade" that required little or no modifications to the mounting. If there's not then I'll just go with the stock pump again and modify it.

Thanks,
Wobbles

Modify it how?

It's a pretty standard pump, being a Metric Saginaw case. I've seen it in quite a few late-model GM cars and trucks, some Dodge (even the Viper!) and maybe a few other applications - but I've not compared the mountings. I do know that the Viper takes the same cap (much to the Viper owner's surprised and my pleasure, when he let me horse the thing around for a bit. Nice ride, but it would cost me WAY too much in tickets to own one!)

I don't see why, say, and F-body pump would not fit - but if you want to improve steering, you might want to think about changing the gearbox rather than changing the pump. The gearbox is where the magic happens - the pump is just a pressure source. Something to consider (and, as I recall, the gearbox is a 3-bolt Metric Saginaw case, which can also be replaced with some 4-bolt cases as well...)

5-90

yeah, I planned on changing out the box to a Durango box. But it's not shot yet...that I can tell. I was just curious if someone had found something else out there pumpwise that would change out and hold up to stress better. I guess I could always browse a yard (with all my free time, lol).

Thanks again,
Wobbles

Sort of off topic/model but here goes:

My wife has a 94 ZJ and her gearbox is going, I was wondering about the dakota boxes - will they fit??? If so what years do you think...

If not what others should I keep my eyes open for?

Thanks alot for the help...

JC95

Back