• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Something is frying fuse links

ehingerce

NAXJA Forum User
Ok: Something’s frying a fuse link. Here is the problem. 90, 4.0 L, with A/C
Week ago alternator froze up and popped the serpentine belt. Replaced Alt. Ran fine, charges battery at 14 volts. 2 days latter wife takes it to work, goes to come home, Nothing, after some troubleshooting I found a fuse link fried on the battery post behind the battery by the relay center. Replaced that. Started and ran fine. So the wife wouldn’t get stranded, I took it to work, did some other running around, and I didn’t have any problems. Alt working good etc, brought it home last night, running good. Got in to go to store, this morning- nothing - Starter wont even turnover, same fuse link burnt. Here is what I have and don’t have - headlights, emer. flashers, taillights work. no turn signals or backups, Power windows don’t work, radio don’t work and of course something not working in the ignition ckts. Any help would be appreciated. Don’t want to put another fuse link in and get stuck somewhere with out finding the short first.

Thanks
Chad

OK - there are (according to my FSM) four ring terminals on the distro post on the start relay -
8 ga RED - battery power to distro
12ga BLU - Charge feed FROM alternator
18ga GRN (split) - feeds Ignition Switch, ECM, B+ Latch relay, TCU, and Fuel Pump Relay
18ga GRN (split) - feeds Fog Lamps, and Ignition Off Draw (IOD) Connector (in turn, feeds DRL module - if present - and Dome Lamp Fuze #9 (10A RED))

Now, which fuze link do you keep losing? Probably one of the green ones. Could take a while to trace - which is why we're looking for information...

5-90

Well I got dome lights, so it must be the the 18 ga (split) that feeds the Ignition switch, ECM, etc. Now that has me really confused. If that burnt while the engine was running, I would think that it would kill the engine right then and there. Is there something running after I turn off the key that would burn it out latter?

Thanks for the help

Well I can see this is going to be real bear to find. I’m thinking of going with an easy replacement, like an in line fuse, until I find the problem. I need to know what the amperage of the fuse link is, in order to put an inline fuse in.
Putting an inline with a lot of replacements fuses will at least keep me from being stranded somewhere without the ability to get back to home base. That is until something like the ECU fries.

Thanks

After MUCH searching and looking and tracing and ... I think I found the problem.

Starter solenoid sticking. Had every thing disconnected from the starter relay. Only the starter hooked to the battery. I decided to see if the old girl would turn over, so I jumped the solenoid. To my surprise the starter ran about 30 sec all by its self.

Question - there isn't any time delay or anything in that starter is there? I think it should have quit running as soon as I quit jumping the solenoid. Am I right?

If I'm right then I'll go out and purchase me one of those bad boys.

ehingerce said:
After MUCH searching and looking and tracing and ... I think I found the problem.

Starter solenoid sticking. Had every thing disconnected from the starter relay. Only the starter hooked to the battery. I decided to see if the old girl would turn over, so I jumped the solenoid. To my surprise the starter ran about 30 sec all by its self.

Question - there isn't any time delay or anything in that starter is there? I think it should have quit running as soon as I quit jumping the solenoid. Am I right?

If I'm right then I'll go out and purchase me one of those bad boys.
Your going to replace the starter relay right?

Back