• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going def

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
I changed the front brakes and the old pads were almost bare metal. Before I did it, the front end was getting progressively noisier as they were becoming thinner and thinner. Keep in mind that I said front end, which means that I was hearing the noise at all times, not only when applying the brakes. It sounds like two pieces rubbing against each other. When pressing the brake pedal I would hear exactly the same noise, but multiplied many times and it is gone now. It was never that grinding noise you hear sometimes...
The noise that was present while not applying the brakes is still there and I am going def.
I checked all fluids and they are ok.
Any thoughts? The only thing I could come up is bearings, but why would they become noisier at the same rate as the brakes?
Thanks in advance.
Boris

Maybe a coincidence? Everytime I do any kind of work that involves the front end I check everything out while I am there. Brake pads, lines, calipers, bearing assemblies, ball joints, anything that is open while I am there. If it is suspect I go ahead and make whatever minor repairs as necessary just to keep them from becoming bigger headaches later.

chris

Thanks Chris,
I would still like to know what could sound like brakepads getting thin...
Forgot to mention that when I changed the brakes, I did not turn the rotors, would this explain the noise? I am thinking they might be warped...
Boris

It could be the hub assembly going bad. Most likely you won't hear anything if you jack it up and spin the tire. It might need a load on it to put some stress on the bearings. Get the suspected side up in the air and see if you can move the tire/wheel up and down checking for slop in the hub assembly. I can get approximately 60,000-70,000 miles on the hubs on my DD. My trail rig is lucky to have them last one year.

Applying the brakes shifts the weight of the vehicle forward. That may put enough of a strain on the bearings to make them grind or make other noises. Unfortunately they aren't cheap and you may want to make darn sure that is the source of the noise before you put the money into it.

chris

XJ Buzzard said:
It could be the hub assembly going bad. Most likely you won't hear anything if you jack it up and spin the tire.

Actually I spun the tire when the vehicle was up and it did sound like someone is dragging a piece of rusty sheetmetal onto a surface. I hope this helps in solving the mystery noise.
Thanks
Boris

Most likely the hubs, but a couple of brake tips. I sand the rails the pads ride on with sandpaper and rub a little copper grease on the them. I also clean and put a light coat of lube on the caliper rods. Both of which help the pads, retract a little easier and limit the whoosh whoosh whoosh noise, when they rub slightly.
I sand the rotors (at every brake pad change) with 100 grit sand paper, from edge to center at an angle, then do it again so the finished product looks like a cross pattern. After hundred thousand (plus) miles my rotors look flat and have very few grooves. I do the same with the drums. One of those things that takes a little time, but helps the brakes wear in quicker and helps them to wear flat.
As a side note, I also lightly sand new pads. New pads often have a little too much bonding agent on the face and don't stop worth a darn for the first couple of days. Newer pads are better made, but there was a time when letting a vehicle out of the shop, without sanding the pads, was asking for a lawsuit.
It may also be dry roller bearings in a U-joint cap. Rust dust on the rubber ring under the bearing cap is a dead give away of a dry cap. They wear out fast, when the grease runs out and start popping shortly thereafter.

Alienspecimen said:
Actually I spun the tire when the vehicle was up and it did sound like someone is dragging a piece of rusty sheetmetal onto a surface. I hope this helps in solving the mystery noise.
Thanks
Boris
In that case, jack it up, keep spinning it and try to find where the noise is coming from.

make sure there is not something stuck between the rotor and the backing plate, or that the backing plate itself hasn't gotten bent and is making contact with the rotor.

Back