• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mudhole/check engine light/alternator dying?

hotrod22

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday at lunch I took my Cherokee thru a mudhole with no probs. On the way home I noticed the check engine light was on, but ran fine in every way, I figured maybe I splashed some water in the wrong place. This morning on the way to work I noticed my (Autometer) voltmeter was reading about 11 volts, then a couple miles later(pulling in at work) it went down to about 8 volts, the radio cut off and the headlights started dimming. I put the battery on charge while at work and was able to get it home luckily. Iam pretty sure that my alternator took a crap so I bought a new one($144) to put on in the A.M.. My question is did the mud/water kill my alternator or was it a coincidence? Did the mud/water trigger the check engine light? Any advice?

The mud probably gummed up the brushes. I regularly have to clean mine out or I'd be buying three or four alternators a year.

If you can stand getting rid of your A/C then move your Alternator up top. No more mud issues.
AlternatormodDSC01558Small.jpg

I replaced the alternator and all is good now. I started it to check the voltage(which was around 13v) the check engine light was still on. A couple hours later I was going to have the code read at Advance, started it and the light was not on? Hmmm.

Back