• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

better brakes?

keith haw

NAXJA Forum User
I was just siting here in brain fart mode thinking about XJ brakes. I got to wondering, on older CJ's a major upgrade was to install 12" brakes. Now the XJ d44 only has 10' brakes, is that right? So has anyone ever tried going to the 12" ones? I was thinking, do 12" rears and 2 or 4 piston front calipers and that should greatly inprove the XJ system. Am I missing something or is the XJ system less than say a 65CJ?

Keith

sounds ok if you can redrill the drums to the xj bolt pattern.

Im going to go the 8.8 route soon and hope that will be the end of shitty braking.

Disk are ok but I think 12" drums would be cheaper.. Should just need redrilled backin plates and drums.. Cheaper and no need for m/c changes. Pluse all the e'brake and lines should work..
Like I said, just letting my mind wonder.

Keith

keith haw said:
Disk are ok but I think 12" drums would be cheaper.. Should just need redrilled backin plates and drums.. Cheaper and no need for m/c changes. Pluse all the e'brake and lines should work.. Keith
I'm sure you would need different backing plates. They have a rounded edge that 'mates' with the flange of the drum.

That's why I said redrilled backing plates.. A 10" backing plate will not work with a 12 drum. Should just need to redrill the 12" plates to mount to the xj flange.

Keith

Back