• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

next project: 4x4

noresttill

NAXJA Forum User
My next project for the Great White Shark is a 4x4 conversion.

I was reading up on it here and the only thing that i wasn't planning on was a tranny swap. I have an AW4 in my 96 and am wondering what years and models would work. Any ECU mods?

This kind of disappoints me, I thought this would be an add on job not a "get rid of a reliable tranny for another maybe less reliable one"

NO, I WILL NOT SELL HER AND BUY A 4x4!!!

thanks

Jesse

Actually, your tranny will work but you need to remove the long adapter at the end and install a new, shorter rear adapter. I'm not certain whether you'd have to change the rear output itself or not; that's not very clear in the docs I have.

Otherwise, as I understand it (thanks to BrettM....hint, hint) any AW-4 will work in place of the '96 and will plug into the wiring harness with no mods needed. 87-90 will have a 0.705 overdrive while the 91+ has a 0.75 OD

When i converted my 94 to 4WD 4 years ago i had compared the two transmissions side by side, the 2WD version has a longer output shaft by ~7". Simply swapping the adaptor wont allow a transfer to bolt up.

FWIW i used 88 components on my 94 without any problems with TCU etc.

Thanks guys, thats not really what I wanted to hear though.

Well, I guess Ill start start loking in the autotrader for a blown or something (I dont think i want a tranny from a junkyard)

John, that's kind of what I figured would be the case with the output shaft; the adapter is longer so the shaft should be as well. Thanks for confirming it.

Back