• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

? for you axle guru's

That's a hell of a deal for that price. Tubes are on the smallish side, but should work fine. Still need a locker and gears, but for the price, who can argue?

xjcrawlr said:
My next Heep will have 37in shoes, so a 35 spline axle will be order to maintain a degree of longevity. I thinking Dana 60. While surfing I come across this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8004810523

And I'm thinking "Hey, 35 spline carrier, just needs shafts and ends" right?

So what would it take to build that axle? Is it a full-float, or semi-float? Anybody?

I think that's a great price for a new housing. But the shipping cost quickly makes it less of a good deal. I wouldn't pay more than 200 for a rear end myself.
They look semi float to me. If it were full floater, you'd see the spindle there rather than what looks like a tapered bearing race.

They look to be Dana 60-2 semi-float units normally found in late 60s/early 70s full size Jeep J4000 trucks.

IF they are J4000 units, these came with (odd, tall & skinny) drum brakes and used 5 lug on 5.5" shafts. The pinion is offset a bunch, but if one shortens the longside tube 6" -/+, equal length shafts can be used. (And will yield a WMS width close to the XJs.) The 6 bolt flanges are same as 44 front spindles, so discs appear fairly easy to install.

The outer bearings, spacers, retainer plates & seals are not 'common' parts, but can be found (or made) If one was getting custom alloy shafts made, probably any common lug pattern could be had.

here's an interesting link... http://panther4x4.com/Dana60-2/

A friend of mine is selling one right now matter of fact, His is 60" wide, 35spline dutchman shafts, 5x4.5 or 5x5.5 its in the for sale forum but ill post the link on here too. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dana...ryZ33728QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
His name is Dave Gumm, he doesnt really want to ship it but im sure i could talk him into it.
Mike
he also has a 60" 31 spline 9" in the same condition(no gears or carrier) with discs

For $70 I couldn't not buy one.
Shipping was $60 UPS (121lbs no problem for Oops)

mikecooper said:
A friend of mine is selling one right now matter of fact, His is 60" wide, 35spline dutchman shafts, 5x4.5 or 5x5.5 its in the for sale forum but ill post the link on here too. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dana...ryZ33728QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
His name is Dave Gumm, he doesnt really want to ship it but im sure i could talk him into it.
Mike
he also has a 60" 31 spline 9" in the same condition(no gears or carrier) with discs
Let's see, on one side we have a 60" wide D60 without carrier or R&P but with axles for, what, Buy It Now at $1200.
On the other side we have an (approx) same size D60 without R&P with carrier and no axles for $70.
Hmmm, what to do, what to do...

Then shave the housing a tad, cut off the spring pads, add calipers, brake pads, rotors, prperly installed bearings, custom shafts, shaft bearings, new seals, and then tell me its cheaper. And $1200 is the buy it now price not what his reserve is. kid4lyf call around for these parts I mentioned and update us all to how much cheaper it would be, im sure thats why everyone is running this setup bc of how cheap it is. Mike

mikecooper said:
Then shave the housing a tad, cut off the spring pads, add calipers, brake pads, rotors, prperly installed bearings, custom shafts, shaft bearings, new seals, and then tell me its cheaper. And $1200 is the buy it now price not what his reserve is. kid4lyf call around for these parts I mentioned and update us all to how much cheaper it would be, im sure thats why everyone is running this setup bc of how cheap it is. Mike
mikecooper said:
Oh yeah he can install everything and have it ready to bolt in as soon as it gets there. Top that!
And, even though it's not mentioned in his ad, all that stuff is free, right?

Dude, relax, breath, step away from the keyboard.
It's just the internet.

Skin, go thick or go JU.

Im not thin skinned but I an tired of people telling someone to do this bc "I" think its cheaper. Unless you have all the facts dont say yeah thats a great deal. Now if its was in fact $70 with $80 shipping thats a little steep. You go go to a junkyard and pull d60's all day with 4.10's for under $100. But then you'd have to get a new carrier, assuming the carrier offered with this axle is for 4.10 and up and its its not and hes running 4.56, 4.88, 5.13 whatever, well hes got to get a new 35 spline d60 carrier for 4.10's and up. Yes most of these other parts, ie. rotors, calipers can be had at a junkyard. Im just saying dont advise someone on a purchase when there are so many loaded questions left to be answered.

Thick skinned Cooper

mikecooper said:
Im not thin skinned but I an tired of people telling someone to do this bc "I" think its cheaper.
Gee Mike, I'm sorry
mikecooper said:
Im just saying dont advise someone on a purchase when there are so many loaded questions left to be answered.

Thick skinned Cooper
OK, I promise.
Cross my heart.

You, on the other hand, are obviously welcome to give all the advice you like.

You're just so damn smart.
Can I please pay for your membership so we can all benefit from the wealth of information you have waiting for us here.
Someone has to straighten us out and I think you're just the man.

(edit...am)
tired of people telling someone to do this bc "I" think its cheaper.

Opinions are like A-holes, everybody has one. That was why I asked the question
So what would it take to build that axle?
To get some basic info based on other peoples experience.

A friend of mine is selling one right now matter of fact, His is 60" wide, 35spline dutchman shafts, 5x4.5 or 5x5.5

OK, I guess I should have mentioned, I want full-width. I have a 67in wide HP Dana 44 with hi-steer, 5.13's, 8 lug BP, and a locker. I have a set of H2 wheels, 17 X 9 with 5.5in backspacing, and I will be getting 37's. I also have an 8 lug, FF dana 60 with disk brakes, 5.13's, and a Lincon locker. My problem is the width, its 70in wide ( I think its from a dually). I got these axles for such a good price I practically stole them.

SOOOO....back to the point, I want a dana 60 rear that is about 64-67in wide and I dont want to narrow the one I got, (mostly because I dont have the tools to do that the right way) I just want to be able to swap the parts the new axle. Well..off to the pick-a-part....

I'm tring to get the MJ ready for BOTW. What does it take to hang with the WCGIC ?

xjcrawlr said:
OK, I guess I should have mentioned, I want full-width. I have a 67in wide HP Dana 44 with hi-steer, 5.13's, 8 lug BP, and a locker. I have a set of H2 wheels, 17 X 9 with 5.5in backspacing, and I will be getting 37's. I also have an 8 lug, FF dana 60 with disk brakes, 5.13's, and a Lincon locker. My problem is the width, its 70in wide ( I think its from a dually). I got these axles for such a good price I practically stole them.

SOOOO....back to the point, I want a dana 60 rear that is about 64-67in wide and I dont want to narrow the one I got, (mostly because I dont have the tools to do that the right way) I just want to be able to swap the parts the new axle. Well..off to the pick-a-part....

I'm tring to get the MJ ready for BOTW. What does it take to hang with the WCGIC ?

That helps to know what the plans are... and it looks like the cheap semi-float isn't your best option. (without the work you seek to avoid)

I bought one, and it'll be fun to see what it really is. From the pix, it looks like a candidate for retubing with 3" and big ford style bearing ends. :dunno:

Either way your probably looking at new shafts and a new carrier for 35 spline if your current axle doesnt already have it. You wont find any of that in a junkyard from my past experiences. Now if you already have 35 spline shafts you can always get the axle shafts you have cut down and resplined. If you dont absolutely need it right now, spend some time and scan PBB for some good deals on only the parts you need. Hell i used www.car-part.com and got an 8.8 with 63k, discs, and a trash lock for under $100 and all i had to do was reager it and put some new perches on it. I also found 9 wj knuckles for under $60 a piece and am currently trying to make a deal with the guy for the tr's and dl's too. So plan what you need/dont need and keep a lookout for a great deal, they can always be had.

Back