• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electric locks and horn clicking

MooseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
ok the electric locks and horn on my new xj only make a clickin sound when i hit them, the sound comes from under dash, i found the little fuse like boxes from where each click sounds from, are those fuses? does the clickin mean i need to replace them? im new to power stuff so please help me out, whats it mean??

MooseXJ said:
ok the electric locks and horn on my new xj only make a clickin sound when i hit them, the sound comes from under dash, i found the little fuse like boxes from where each click sounds from, are those fuses? does the clickin mean i need to replace them? im new to power stuff so please help me out, whats it mean??
Those clicking things under your dash are relays.

That they are clicking is actually a good sign, but they are super-cheap (about 10 bucks) and you may as well swap a new one in.

The locations for which does what are in the little manual that came w/ the jeep, if you don't have that little booklet pick up a Haynes book or similar. You can always just ID them by figuring out which one clicks when you press the respective button.

ANyways, relays are not likely IMO. Look for ground fault/bad wiring or a bad horn for the horn. For the windows, i dunno - but seems like troubleshooting the circuit should be first up.

Hope this helps- I'm a bit of a novice myself, and am chasing down an annoying electrical gremlin on my '96 XJ right now. Learned about relays during this process over the last couple of weeks.

got the same thing with my XJ (refrencing the Horn problem) I can hear it click when I press on the horn (comes from under the dash pass side) but I have no horn.

99 xj classic~

everything else works fine.

L.R.

Back