• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bolt removal of flywheel to crank?

I don't really know the best method, but the one I use is to break the electrode out of the piston end of a spark plug and hammer a piece of wooden dowel in the end (about 1/2" past the threads). The piston hits the dowel and stops.
You can also fabricate a stop that bolts to the bell housing and locks into the starter teeth. I made one for my Dodge motors out of a piece of angle iron and a little cutting and grinding.
Jamming a wooden wedge between the starter teeth and the bell housing would also probably work.

I just took the flex-plate (it's an automatic) off on mine. They were on with red loc-tite and wouldn't even come loose with an impact until we heated them with a torch.

I found a 19mm wrench fits a little tighter on those 3/4 bolts, and I put two grade5 bolts in the harmonic balancer, and used a piece of steel to jam it from turning.

The best / easiest way is an impact.

mine came right off with a socket wrench and elbow grease... last bolt required the addion of a screwdriver to keep the flywheel from turning - are we talking about the same flywheel???

That stupid little HF tool works pretty sweet.

Back