• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check Engine Light: Small Evaporation/Evaporator Leak?

BuddhaBudz

NAXJA Forum User
My check engine light recently came on in my 2000 XJ. While it was running fine, I took it to Autozone to get more information. After they scanned the system, the code came back regarding something about a small evaporation leak somewhere in my fuel system. The guys at Autozone suggested that it could be a loose O-ring on my gas cap, a purging problem, or a small hole in my gas tank that is causing the light to come on. I was curious if anyone had a similar problem with their XJ.

My Jeep only has 50,000 miles on it, and I am uncertain about how to approach this issue. I've had the light reset, but it came back on a few days later.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Bryan

That is an emission issue. Seems like it should be covered by the emissions warranty, which is around 80K if I remember right.

I checked out my warranty and my catalyst, fuel tank assembly, exhaust manifold, manifold intake, and powertrain control module are all covered for 8 years/80,000 miles. However, I can only claim this warranty if my XJ fails inspection (Not up for a renewal for another 10 months or so).

The code I received from the scan tool came up P0456 - small evap small leak. I've heard several times that the gas cap can cause this. But I don't want to go out buying parts without knowing exactly what is causing the leak (I wish those scanning tools pinpointed the problem). With a small evap leak, am I testing my luck driving around for 10 months until inspection time? Is this the sort of issue that, when left alone, builds up to be a big problem? My knowledge of mechanics stops with emission and fuel systems.

Bryan

What the heck, buy a locking gas cap. That way you aren't wasting your money if it isn't the cap.

just went through this check engine lite problem with my 01 xj. my problem was a short evaporation hose that comes out of gas tank. it had a huge split in it and was drawing outside air bigtime. its located on front left side of fuel tank. follow the plastic lines on inside of frame rail if u have trouble finding it. its the bigger one and is preformed with a curve in it. i made up my own but dealer should have it in stock.

Back