• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

arb co2 setup loses pressure

METAL MONKEY

NAXJA Forum User
i just finished setting up a co2 tank to run my f/r arbs. i'm using a powertank hpx regulator, powertank arb manifold kit, and air toggle switches. the airline is routed from the tank, to the manifold, to the switches, and out to the lockers. I'll set the reg. to 90psi, engage one or both of the lockers for a period of time, the pressure will drop. if i engage one or both, and then disengage soon after, the pressure drops also. Even if i set the pressure and don't engage the lockers at all, i will lose some pressure. Also there aren't any audible leaks, but I haven't tried using soapy water yet to find one.

I figured the co2 regulator should always maintain a constant pressure. So, is this a regulator problem, or is it a leaky connection or internal arb problem?

thanks

I'm sorry I don't have a solid answer, but was wondering if you're using the PT adj regulator, or another brand? I wonder if a fixed regulator would help? I'm going to watch this thread because I too plan to run ARBs off my CO2 tank. :wave:

Is your CO2 bottle mounted upright. If it is on its side, the liquid will screw up the regulator.

old_man said:
Is your CO2 bottle mounted upright. If it is on its side, the liquid will screw up the regulator.

it is mounted vertically in a bracket using the spare tire mount. btw, i am only using one supply line to both switches/lockers. if that makes a difference.

try soap and water find the leak fix it then figure out what is wrong with your regulator it should be keeping your pressure pretty constant. the guage may drop, when airing up tires or something where you use enough volume you will see a difference in pressure.

Check the vent lines coming out of the diffs for any internal leaks.

bj-666 said:
try soap and water find the leak fix it then figure out what is wrong with your regulator it should be keeping your pressure pretty constant.

He knows that, but he wants an answer before he even looks at it.

even with a leak, shouldn't the pressure remain constant if the regulator is good? I didn't think of checking the vent lines for an internal leak, but will be sure to do that now

Fuel90 said:
even with a leak, shouldn't the pressure remain constant if the regulator is good? I didn't think of checking the vent lines for an internal leak, but will be sure to do that now

Thats ASSUMING the regulators good!
icon10.gif

Another way to check for a leak. Check the regulator to see if it is getting cold. If so, you are flowing CO2.

Most likely an internal leak in the locker, but you should be able to maintain some amount of pressure even with a leak. A leak, coupled with moisture in the CO2 can freeze up a regulator.

Fuel90 said:
Even if i set the pressure and don't engage the lockers at all, i will lose some pressure.

So, is this a regulator problem, or is it a leaky connection or internal arb problem?

thanks

Sounds like you can factor out the ARBs.

Are you losing pressure in the line after the regulator? Or in the tank?

If it is after the regulator look for a leak in that line, and check your regulator. If it is the tank, check the tank to regulator connection.

HTH

Rev

Another thing you may not be aware of is the solenoid is not 100% air tight. If you leave the bottle open overnight relying on the solenoid to hold the pressure you loose some if not all of your bottle's volume.

How long does it take for the pressure to drop? The way it's behaving is similar to someone who charged the line with pressure, closed the bottle and then the pressure slowly blead off. You're going to have to take a look at it. I would disconnect the air line from the regulater and see if it holds the pressure and move down the line one fitting at a time.

Test completed. I found a few very small leaks and took care of those. it seems to hold pressure now. I did notice something a little strange though. when i engage both lockers one at a time, the first engagement will drop the pressure around 10 - 12 psi. then once i engage the second, the pressure will go back up to where the regulator was set. now if i engage and then disengage only one, the pressure will drop and stay the same, but when i turn on another locker, the pressure goes back to the preset psi. what would cause the regulator to do this?

i dont' know much about regulators but my only thought is that they are similar to a pressure switch that has a max pressure that is shuts off at and a min pressure that it will turn on at. if this is the case when you open the first line there isn't enough pressure lost to triger it to regulate but with the second it realizes there is a drop in pressure and fills the lines back to pressure. maby there is a way to regulate when the regulator is allowing more air into the system?

bj-666 said:
i dont' know much about regulators but my only thought is that they are similar to a pressure switch that has a max pressure that is shuts off at and a min pressure that it will turn on at...

that thought crossed my mind, but wouldn't think that a pneumatic regulator would do that. i also forgot to mention that when i engage the 2nd locker with one on already, that the pressure drops about 10 psi before it goes back up to the preset pressure.

Back