• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 cherokee dies after starting

Cal-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My cherokee dies as soon as you release the key from start to run. It will stay running if you step on the gas pedal and hold it down slightly.(so I don't think it's the key switch) After letting it run for a minute, you can let off the pedal and it stays running.(dead spot on TPS ?) It has also stalled out twice so far. Once my wife was heading uphill and made a right turn pulling into our driveway,as she slowed down it stalled. Another time I was backing it downhill into our driveway and after I had stopped and put it into park it died.
I've switched the fuel pump relay with one of the others and it still stalls. I took out and cleaned the IAC. I've checked the battery to body & engine grounds. The wires to the alt,coil,distributor all look ok. From what I've read using the search, it sounds like a fuel problem. Could it be as simple as changing the fuel filter or am I going to have to buy a expensive fuel pressure tester and fuel pump. Any suggestions or tips what else to look for?

Back