• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question for you 8.8 guys

XgeekstarX

NAXJA Forum User
how bad is the offset on this thing? i read that it's something like the pinion is 2 3/4" off center. wouldn't that be an equation for driveshaft failure? i have a chance to pick one up out of a 97 exploder for about 100 bucks and am wondering if i'm going to have any issues.

i can't verify the offset distance but i do know that i do not see any prob with mine. the one i have is out of a 96. i know and have seen many people with them with no problems either. i am slipyoke eliminated and sitting at about 6-7" of lift

No problems other than your driveshaft sits closer to the muffler. I've had the flange hit it a few times, and am now looking at a smaller muffler because of it.

I had to switch muffler types to keep the drive shaft out of it. Besides that the offset has not caused any problems.

I wish it was centered. With a traction bar intalled, the offset causes enough vibes to be felt at certain speeds. Not bad, but enough to notice on long trips.

Next time I break a housing, I'll build a centered unit.

XgeekstarX said:
so with a H&T, double cardan shaft (probably a front shaft out of a junk xj), and the right pinion angle i should be alright?

define "alright"

mine 9" with a 2.25" offset pinion works to my satisfaction - though my drivetrain is probably shorter than yours... (ax-15 is about 2" shorter than the aw4)

and i believe the H+T to be longer than the HD SYE...

XgeekstarX said:
i've got my heart set on the 5.5 re short arm kit with 35's.

that comes with the drop brackets right?

if not - then bye bye streetability...

I have no vibes that i can atribute to driveline...

i had rubicon express sye with my 8.8 and could never get rid of vibes to the point where they ended up wearing out the sv in my driveshaft after almost 2 years. this is also with an aw4 which is a little longer. I have since switched to the new tera extreme short sye which is 3/4 shorter than jb's super short, and I have finally been able to rid myself of any noticeable driveline vibes.

A u-joint doesn't know if the diff is offset to one side or the other or straight behind it, 5 degrees to the left is no different than 5 degrees down.

ks92xj said:
A u-joint doesn't know if the diff is offset to one side or the other or straight behind it, 5 degrees to the left is no different than 5 degrees down.
but with a double-cardan shaft there isn't supposed to be 5 degrees down, it's supposed to be straight at the t-case. with no SYE, you are correct.

thats not true at all brett, the DC joint doesnt care about the angles at all, up, down, left right, it doesnt care one bit

the PIONION is susposed to be set up to match the driveshaft, so that the u joint can have no angle on it

now the u joint will BAIRLY be affected w/ the offset, and again the DC wont care, as long as the shaft is balanced, youll be set

Last edited:
tealcherokee said:
thats not true at all brett, the DC joint doesnt care about the angles at all, up, down, left right, it doesnt care one bit

the PIONION is susposed to be set up to match the driveshaft, so that the u joint can have no angle on it

now the u joint will BAIRLY be affected w/ the offset, and again the DC wont care, as long as the shaft is balanced, youll be set

wrong!!!!

you want all the angle to be taken up by the CV joint...

impossible with a centered drivetrain and an offset diff...

read here - then post again:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-shaft/index.html

tealcherokee said:

you and I are saying the same thing.

as you said, if the pinion is offset you can't cancel the angle on the u-joint right there with a DC joint, so (theoretically) you will have vibes.

however without an SYE and having a 2 joint shaft, you can still get the u-joint at an offset pinion to cancel by having the pinion pointing parallel to the t-case output in both planes.

tealcherokee said:

SPOBI. Offset has just the same effect as having the pinion pointed too low or too high, it puts the rear joint out of alignment with the shaft, causing vibes.

yeah, sorry, late nite last night, mis read bretts post

but, as far as the offset, im not sure youll get vibes, when i had my 231 my pinion was stock, and i had a cv shaft w/o vibes, but i did set it up right for the 300

running about 5 inches of lift, minimal vibrations, no sye, stock ds. and I have flogged it a bit to get out of tight spots when the pesky front axles snap.

Back