• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 242 xfer case front yoke play

L92XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a driveline vibration that goes away with the front shaft out. The shaft has been balanced. The transfer case yoke will move in and out about an 1/8". Is that acceptable? Couldn't find a spec in the FSM or other posts here. Does anybody have the tolerances?

92XJ

I had a similar issue a few years ago. Throw a wrench on the yoke nut with it in 4wd and see if you can tighten it. I was able to get a full turn on the nut and it took all the play out of the yoke.

--Matt

The nut turned about a half turn to get it up to 110 ft. lbs. per the FSM. Still have play though.

Matt, did you have a vibration problem with that loose nut?

Thank to both of you for your help.

Leonard in Orlando

I have the same issue going on right now. I haven't tried to tighten the nut because of other problems I'm having but that gives me some good ideas. Thanks. Juice

lcsxj said:
Matt, did you have a vibration problem with that loose nut?

Yeah, I had alot of vibes. At first I thought it was a bad double cardan, bad it was just the loose yoke.

--Matt

i wonder if this is common with the 242. mine would NEVER stay torqued. i eventually sloopped it with lock-tite and it finally stopped

Back