• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Glovebox design-wierd

MarkH

NAXJA Forum User
Weird question. When mounting/installing a satellite radio this weekend, I had to take apart the glovebox door skin. In between the 2 plastic panels is a "bar" that seems to be made of some kind of very hard material --maybe a ceramic. At first I thought it was just a piece of extruded fiberglass, but it's way harder than that. Doesn't seem to be aluminum or steel... What the hell is it? As a "support" for the door, it really doesn't seem all that functional. Anyone out there know? --Mark

I don't know what the bar is made of, either. But, have you ever wished that JEEP had a lighted glove box that lights up when its opened? I can't see anything in there at night. I have to fish for a flashlight to see anything in there.
Harry
(cnhxn)

cnhxn said:
I don't know what the bar is made of, either. But, have you ever wished that JEEP had a lighted glove box that lights up when its opened? I can't see anything in there at night. I have to fish for a flashlight to see anything in there.
Harry
(cnhxn)

Check your bulb. I know that it's available in XJ's (at least available) - since I know there's a light in three of my four glove boxes. I haven't had to get into the box on the other 89 at night yet - but my wife hasn't asked me about it, so I can probably assume it's there.

5-90

MarkH said:
Weird question. When mounting/installing a satellite radio this weekend, I had to take apart the glovebox door skin. In between the 2 plastic panels is a "bar" that seems to be made of some kind of very hard material --maybe a ceramic. At first I thought it was just a piece of extruded fiberglass, but it's way harder than that. Doesn't seem to be aluminum or steel... What the hell is it? As a "support" for the door, it really doesn't seem all that functional. Anyone out there know? --Mark

Probably a knee-blocker... a questionable piece of "safety" equipment.
(With a seatbelt on, your knees would never get close to the dash... and without a seatbelt on, how's it better to add busted-up knees to your list of injuries?) :)

Both of my XJs have had glovebox lights...I've also learned (the hard way) that it is possible to put too much stuff in there and it will prevent the glove from closing all the way. In the morning you need a jumpstart.

I'd be tempted to say Bakelite -- but, not on a '98.

The glove-box lampholder/switch assembly on my '91 was made by Ford. :shrug:

MarkH said:
When mounting/installing a satellite radio this weekend, I had to take apart the glovebox door skin.

i am so glad i'm not the only one who had to bastardize their glove box for a satelitte radio install. i didnt pull my door apart so i have no idea whats inside. but the box is full of cables and wires now so i will never use it anymore.

sirius rocks!!

sidriptide said:
i am so glad i'm not the only one who had to bastardize their glove box for a satelitte radio install. i didnt pull my door apart so i have no idea whats inside. but the box is full of cables and wires now so i will never use it anymore.

sirius rocks!!

Back