• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Problems

Ecarlcl

NAXJA Forum User
It seems like I'm having to fix a lot of shorts especailly in the hvac/blower motor systems. Right now I'm reading 20 ohms to ground in two wires in this harness that I have to pull the dash out to get to. I was just curious if anyone else is having trouble with electrical demons and stuff like that. And wasnt there a tsb that called for just hard wiring the CPS on to the harness or did I read something wrong? I've been having trouble with that connection for a little while. I think some dielectric grease will fix me up there. This all started right when I crossed 200,000 miles....sigh are there any good writeups for dash removal?

Thanks,
Ecarlcl

'90 XJ Laredo 4.0 5spd

Well, when I finally had to replace the heater core in my '90, it went someting like this:
Start by disconnecting the battery. Pull out the center console, rear vent under the console, and the lower dash piece (kneeboard). Next, drop the steering column at the dash board, followed by removing the trim piece up by the windshield. Go ahead and remove the dash bezel that goes around just about everything (the piece of plastic that goes over the gauge cluster, the radio, etc...) it is one less thing to break. After this, there are 6 screws up by the windshield that come out, try not to remove the 2 that hold the defroster vent in place, it does not need to come out for this. Next, on each side under the dash, there is 1 bolt that I think is either 14 or 15 mm, just loosen them about 5-6 turns each. Now the dash should be ready to tilt towards you. As it does, reach behind it and unplug the speedo drive. That should cover everything, I belive.

Before you pull the dash, isolate the resistor for the blower motor, it can cross and short in strange ways.
Most of the other problems I've had, is sharp edges cutting into the harness. Most anytime I´m in the dash. motor compartment or under the XJ, I reroute something, either put a section of plastic cable protector over the trouble spot or zip tie whatever up out of the way.
I've used a medium box full of that split plastic cable loom protector (in various sizes) in my XJ over the years (that I stripped off junkers in the yard), a whole bunch of places for the harness to rub.

8Mud said:
Before you pull the dash, isolate the resistor for the blower motor, it can cross and short in strange ways.
Most of the other problems I've had, is sharp edges cutting into the harness. Most anytime I´m in the dash. motor compartment or under the XJ, I reroute something, either put a section of plastic cable protector over the trouble spot or zip tie whatever up out of the way.
I've used a medium box full of that split plastic cable loom protector (in various sizes) in my XJ over the years (that I stripped off junkers in the yard), a whole bunch of places for the harness to rub.

This is all past the resistor, I'm still seeing that short with that harness that goes from the switch to the resistor pack unplugged I guess I'll go through everything while I'm back there and go to work with zip ties and lots of tape, Ive already had to run my own wire once to bypass a short behind the dash where I couldnt get to it once, figured it would be a one time deal...guess not :banghead:

ren said:
Well, when I finally had to replace the heater core in my '90, it went someting like this:
Start by disconnecting the battery. Pull out the center console, rear vent under the console, and the lower dash piece (kneeboard). Next, drop the steering column at the dash board, followed by removing the trim piece up by the windshield. Go ahead and remove the dash bezel that goes around just about everything (the piece of plastic that goes over the gauge cluster, the radio, etc...) it is one less thing to break. After this, there are 6 screws up by the windshield that come out, try not to remove the 2 that hold the defroster vent in place, it does not need to come out for this. Next, on each side under the dash, there is 1 bolt that I think is either 14 or 15 mm, just loosen them about 5-6 turns each. Now the dash should be ready to tilt towards you. As it does, reach behind it and unplug the speedo drive. That should cover everything, I belive.

Do you have to evacuate the A/C to get the core out? I might as well do that while im that deep into it.

Yeah, you have to pull the entire box out.

Crap, I guess i'll just flush it and run it till it dies. I still have the origonal R-12 in there, and you're gonna have to pry it out of my cold dead hands

Back