• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

factory fog lamp fuse...

WobblesXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88XJ that came with factory fog lights. But the lights themselves weren't on it when I bought it, just the brackets. So I bought some new lamps and traced down the reason they took them out, burnt fog lamp wiring. Now I can't find the fusible link in the wiring. I see it is supposed to have one from the factory manual but I can't find it. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Wobbles

WobblesXJ said:
I have an 88XJ that came with factory fog lights. But the lights themselves weren't on it when I bought it, just the brackets. So I bought some new lamps and traced down the reason they took them out, burnt fog lamp wiring. Now I can't find the fusible link in the wiring. I see it is supposed to have one from the factory manual but I can't find it. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Wobbles
you do know that they only work with the low beam right? They also have their own fuse in the fuse block and are relay controlled. The fuseable link your looking for is also for the head lights.

Do you need the wiring codes for under the hood?

I have an FSM but it doesn't show exactly where the wiring goes, if you've got something that does, that would be great.

So you're saying there's a fuse in the fuse block in the cab for the fog lights?

I've already checked the relay to make sure it was work, the wiring to one of the lamps had the jacket burned through and grounded out so I'm assuming it's a fuse.

Thanks for your help,
Wobbles

Well, my '88 limited and my '88 MJ both have the wiring running down the driver side inner fender as part of the main loom, then the relay is in the lower part of the corner, and the wiring then goes on to the lights. Does this help any?

Yeah, I figured that's where they go. But in my FSM it says there's a fuse between the coil side of the relay and the positive side of the battery and I'm not sure where to look for that fuse. My headlights however work. So I'm guessing it's something with the supply voltage to the coil side of the relay.

Thanks some more,
Wobbles

According to my book, the fog lights share the fuse with the headlights. FIW, on my MJ, the relay showed that it was getting power, but it was bad anyway. Have you tried changing the relay yet?

The green fuselink is on the starter relay. it supplies the "Fog LT relay" the "Under hood light" and the "ETR fuse."
foglink.jpg

Last edited:
That is helpful to know. The info for the fusible links is lacking from my book. Time to get the colored pencils out and include it.

nice! I thought that may be where it was. But I still don't want to fool around in there till I find it. I rewired the power to the coil side of the relay and now all is working. I may tear into those wires or I may just say forget it and wrap the wire I have now up.

Thanks again,
Wobbles

Back