• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pro comp tires

When you check out the price for those three, it is just a tad bit cheaper then 4 BFG M/T's. And if you have to buy a 5th, watch out.

I had them on a lifted jeep wrangler (32's). Got stuck in mud a few times and the hard rubber on pavement made them slip around a lot on the street. I took them off after about 5K miles on them and gave them away. I think they're made by Cooper anyways. I put on MT/R's and they handle much better both on street and in the soft stuff. Sewer's right about the price, if you can dig up an old 4Wheelparts magazine and see the normal "sale" price, you'll see that you're not saving much $. You'll get $oaked on the 5th tire, too. Here's my +/- for each tire. I'm about 50/50 street/offroad. My XJ is a hunting vehicle, so the offroad is mostly mud, loose gravel, and soft dirt.

PC Mud Terrains:
cheaper than most MT's (+)
Hard rubber (+/-) - long lasting, but poor traction when wet
Look pretty good (+)

Goodyear MT/R's:
Excellent traction in wet stuff on and off road (+)
Super strong sidewalls (+)
Expensive (-)
Wear quickly (-)

If you read some back issues of 4Wheeler magazine, they're rated decent in the tire tests. But that may be biased due to advertising revenue. I thought the tires sucked and ate a big loss by swapping them out.

Last edited:
I've had both BFG MT and Pro comp Mt. a set of 32's in the BFG, and now 33's in the Pro comp. i have a set of Brand new 35in Pro Comp Mt's in the basement if anyone wants them. $500 for 4 tires, stickers and blue lettering still on them.
As for the tires, its a better deal than BFG. They’re virtually the same tire. I found the Pro Comp's have a little less road noise than the BFG's. For a Mud Terrain the things run silent... as silent as a MT can! There the best tires i've ever owned. They have a stout look, and impress me every time i take my jeep offroad. As for the AT's pro comp makes, they may be good tires, but the tread pattern makes my Weiner soft. If you’re buying AT's go with BFG. I've had a pair of those too, they look and ride nice, and their performance off road is impressive for All terrains.

The only problem I’ve had with the pro comps was in balancing. it took the guys at the tire shop over an hour to get one of my tires right. There’s a lot of meat of those tires, and it takes some serious weights to get them to balance.

IIRC it seems that when they offer the third one free the usually add a few dollars to the price of each tire to make up the diffrence..
price 4 or 5 procomps then price out the same with the BFG MT and go with the cheaper of the two(with the offroad guarrantee
IMO they are virtually identicle as far as wear and durability
noww the GY MTR's is another animal
thicker sidewall

All I know is most the guys that run the MTR's around here pack up real bad and don't get anywhere, Pop runs the 33 ProComp Mt's on his Exploder and I run 33" trxus on my XJ and when we wheel together for the most part the Trxus kick but, that does include running the procomps on an XJ too. I sell more Trxus then anything locally, they are quiet they ride good, they are siped (do well in snow and rain and ice) and dig like crazy, I have had mine on for 25k + and still have a lot of life left.
For what its worth,
J

Hello, just my 2 cents.

I have used all three of the tires mentioned, pro comp (AT, & MT), BFG MT, Goodyear MTR.

As with anything each company will differ some, with there pros and cons. All will have good traits and all will have bad ones too. So to go and just knock one and say another is the best is like slapping one of your kids and giving another some candy for no reason at all. LOL.

Personally however I must say that I was most impressed by the Pro comp line of tires. They to me are kind of the under dog, if you get wha tI am saying. They show up on the scene and offer a product (now quite a few products) and seem pretty confident in what they got.

The Pro comp MT, IMO is the best bang for the buck. I have a set on one of my project vehicles that has been around the family of trucks. They have been on just about every truck I have sitting outside the shop. They have over 32K combined on them and still have geat tread life left. They ride decent on the highway, and perform good in the mud/snow. The real reason I liked these so much was the fact that they CLEAN OUT.

However the fellahs posting above me are right about price. Sale or no sale you will be hit pretty hard on the 5th tire.

As far as the other companies mentioned....I was not impressed with the price or the performance of the MTR, VERY loud tire, and looked almost like a slick after 23K highway miles. (I know they are MUD tires, but they were on a J10, and the reason they were on that vehicel is becasue they DO NOT CLEAN OUT!!!)

The BFG on the other hand was a good tire, but is high in cost and seemed to have a thinner sidewall...compared to the pro comp, and the MTR.
It did clean out okay, and wore decent, but overall towards the end of those tires life, (6 to 8 months) I decided it wasnt worth the money invested...I have seen 33" tires for 200+!!!

The procomp MT's really are a good tire for overall performance.

The Xterrain...I dont want to talk about that beast.

Good luck with your endeavor

-T

Contact me and I will show you how bad procomp's suk. Driving down the road at 65 mph one of my rear side walls blew out (procomp 35x12.5r15 mt). They had less than 10k on them. Contacted Procomp, and they pretty much could care less about my problem. Do a search on yahoo and you will find many people with the same story.

Switched over to bfg mt's and even got a road hazard warranty.

4wheel parts offers the road hazard warranty also...I have used it many times on boggers and TSL SX's....Just a measely 125.00 or so....Anybody can have it...and they will replace your tire no matter what is wrong with it...

-T

When I was looking for a new set of off-road tires, I searched this site for several hours and came to the conclusion that many on here liked Trxus MTs. They are an agressive, solid off-road tire that is less expensive than most MTs. I bought a set of them and have really liked them. Often, who responds to your post will dictate what kind of response/recommendations you get. Although I don't think you can go wrong with BFGs if you can afford them. Just my .02

clay

I didn't expect procomp to do anything about the blow our, I just wanted to let them know they may have a problem. The service rep accused me of running low air pressure, I said yes I run low air presuure offroad, this is an offroad tire isn't it? blah blah blah she ended up calling me an a-hole, at that point I wanted procomp to do something for free all I ended up getting was the shaft and a piece of crap tire.

Spend the extra few buck and get somone who will back thier product.

I too have had both MTs. I could not keep the pro comps balanced. Other than that they were a good tire. I got 55k out of that set of Procomps. I now have BFGs and I won't be going anywhere else for tires.

BA

Back