• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front suspension concept?

boynamedsue

NAXJA Forum User
ive got an idea for xj front suspension. need your advice or tell me i'm retarded if it wont work. i'm in iraq so i cant take measurements or test fit anything. anyways my idea is something like the arms on avalanche engineerings sniper. two paralel upper arms. with a reversed wishbone lower (two points at axle,one at the frame) or even two lower links triangulated. i've done some drafts and i know it would flex great if it fits. the only problem i can think of is the need to convert to airshocks/coilovers stock coil buckets would be in the way of the upper mount especially on driver side. i'll try to post some of my drafts if possible.
so will it work or should i scrap the whole idea?

what's wrong with the panhard (trackbar)? are you going to use full-hydro steering?

off the top of my head... I think you will have some major issues clearing the driveshaft with the lower.

you also wouldn't be able to get much verticle seperation on the frame end without having the lower link hang pretty low.

There are a couple versions of what you're considering out there.
They have used the wishbone on the top, though.
Full hydro steering is a must with this.
Search under "wishbone"

I have done this on a J-10 and it works good but as others have said steering is the issue. We put the steering box under the passenger seat (lots of u-jionts to get the teering shaft there) Then with the pitman arm through the floor moving front to back a link parelel to the arms then a bell crank on the axle to link to the wheels. Lots of parts but it works.

XJJack said:
I have done this on a J-10 and it works good but as others have said steering is the issue. We put the steering box under the passenger seat (lots of u-jionts to get the teering shaft there) Then with the pitman arm through the floor moving front to back a link parelel to the arms then a bell crank on the axle to link to the wheels. Lots of parts but it works.
Got any pics? I'm having a hard time picturing it, but it sure sounds intriguing...

sounds dangerous...

boynamedsue said:
ive got an idea for xj front suspension. need your advice or tell me i'm retarded if it wont work. i'm in iraq so i cant take measurements or test fit anything. anyways my idea is something like the arms on avalanche engineerings sniper. two paralel upper arms. with a reversed wishbone lower (two points at axle,one at the frame) or even two lower links triangulated. i've done some drafts and i know it would flex great if it fits. the only problem i can think of is the need to convert to airshocks/coilovers stock coil buckets would be in the way of the upper mount especially on driver side. i'll try to post some of my drafts if possible.
so will it work or should i scrap the whole idea?

This was done here at TRC Off-Road already If yuo were at nacfest we had it there. You can stop in and see it if you would like. It does work well except the lowers seem to be a hinderence once and a while. I think the three link with the track bar is far superior.

With the full hydro steering you are not driving it on the road.

I used it at NEUROC and did not break any suspension parts or mounting points.

164870901GWVUgX_ph.jpg

REARCOILOVER.jpg

You can see from the body we were not easy on it.

Nice pics! Im talking about desert racing. it looks strong . Im just wondering about the lower arms . Would they take the high speed abuse?

I wasnt really worried about vib. I was wondering if it could take a high speed jump. By jump i mean 5-8 feet of air. Iknow its not made for that,But it looks strong enough . Im more concerned about the mounts for the arms ripping from the uni-body.

AH I wasn't even thinking of that. I would think that they would be pleanty strong enough. You can come see mine if you want I have no problem showing it to you. I will be getting rid of it soon only because the body is trashed.

maybe another stupid Q but i'm just checking. would fox air shox work up front, i'm trying to be cheap i really want coilovers but they throw me out of my already lowered budget

boynamedsue said:
maybe another stupid Q but i'm just checking. would fox air shox work up front, i'm trying to be cheap i really want coilovers but they throw me out of my already lowered budget
I would venture to guess that the 2.0 airshox would not work on the front of basically any rig with a 4.0l. The 2.5 airshox on the other-hand, should be just fine.

rock on. hey i've been trying to find the 2.5's but came up empty handed. i've found pics and reviews. but no pricing. anybody know deals in these?

Back