• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trouble starting

watson

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having problems starting my Jepp sometimes. It sounds like it wants to start but just never fires up. It just turns and turns and turns and nothing. It's like it isn't getting fuel. I can hear the fuel pump kick on when I turn on the ignition. Sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't. My best guess is that the relay for the fuel pump is going out. I pulled it out and it did have some discoloration on the ends. Does anyone know if this is just a standard relay that I could pick up at Autozone or is it a special one?

On a side note: every once in awhile I can't start the Jeep in Park. It does nothing, like I have a complete dead battery. If I put it in Neutral, it'll start right up? Any ideas? I've heard there is a switch on the tranny that keeps you from starting while in gear and something may have happened to this switch to make the Jeep think it is in gear when it is really in Park. Any other suggestions are very much welcome and appreciated. TIA

Yes the relay is a standard Bosch type.

Sounds like it's time for a NSS cleaning or a new one.

What year and will it start after cranking it a while ?.

It is possible that your CPS is going out or is competely Dead. I had the same trouble last year just before the Moab event. It was the night before we were to leave. Two days latter, I did get it fixed, and it was the CPS. One way to know for sure is to unplug the CPS wire at the back of the valve cover, and then plug it back in. If it starts Great! Time to get a new one. I found out through my local jeep club, and through the dealer, that this is a common problem with the XJ. Unplugging the wire connection somehow resets it or something. Very common, happens all the time according to dealer. Try that and see if it will start.
Some jeepers after doing this don't even change the CPS out, they just unplug it and then plug it back in when it is needed....
Myself, I replaced it, I already missed one good event because of it, Not going to let it happen again....Hope this helps,

Casper

The XJ is a 93. Sorry about that. It wouldn't start no matter how long you keep trying. Well, I'd only try for about 10-15 seconds at a time. Didn't want to run the battery dead trying to start it. It died while I was pulling into my driveway. I couldn't believe it, I've never stalled an auto before. So the Jeep was running when something went wrong and then after that I couldn't get it started. I tired a couple times, then let it sit for about an hour and then tried a couple more times again. As soon as I had a buddy come over to see if he could figure it out, it started right up. Weird. Casper - CPS, is that the crank position sensor? Thanks guys.

Does the fuel pump come on for about 2 seconds when you put the key in the "ON" position?

I had a fuel pump relay go out on me recently, and it took a while to diagnose the problem. I think my B+ latch relay is also bad, as mine is having trouble starting when I turn the key to start for the first time. I turn it back off, and turn it to start again, and it fires right up......

I need to hire out MJR for about a week and have him diagnose all the electrical issues on my rig. Being that it's a Renix rig with about 4 miles of wire under the hood, I probably ought to hire him for more like 2 weeks.

CRASH

Well you would have to start with the basics. Checking for spark, fuel pressure, etc... I would look at the wiring near the dist and exhaust manifolds to make sure it isn't rubbed through or melted somewhere.

Back