• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ballast resistor

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
There are a million and one threads on here that say you can bypass the ballast resistor.

I, for one, have asked for instructions (plainly written in English that a 10 year old could understand) on how to accomplish this.

I have never gotten a response.

Will someone, please, oh please, humor me with this information.

Thanks

Excellent work gentlemen. Thanks for that information!

Do you get more vibes at all if you bypass the resistor? I would like to bypass mine because I think it may be going bad and its in the way of my K&N.

CollinM said:
Do you get more vibes at all if you bypass the resistor? I would like to bypass mine because I think it may be going bad and its in the way of my K&N.
I got a 87 and it never had one, I think lots of people get rid of them.

You might get a little "pump noise" (that's why it was added,) but if you're on noisy tyres and such, you'll probably never notice it.

As I've mentioned before, it was added in 1988, and a voluntary recall was offered in 1987. My 87 doesn't have one, and I pulled them out of my 88 and my 89 Limited some time ago (and my wife never noticed.) I just didn't see any point in keeping an additional component in the system - since it's just another potential point of failure.

I clipped the spade lugs off the wiring and closed it with a butt splice - no trouble here.

5-90

5-90 said:
You might get a little "pump noise" (that's why it was added,) but if you're on noisy tyres and such, you'll probably never notice it.

As I've mentioned before, it was added in 1988, and a voluntary recall was offered in 1987. My 87 doesn't have one, and I pulled them out of my 88 and my 89 Limited some time ago (and my wife never noticed.) I just didn't see any point in keeping an additional component in the system - since it's just another potential point of failure.

I clipped the spade lugs off the wiring and closed it with a butt splice - no trouble here.

5-90

Alright well I'll keep it in the junkpile just in case but it sounds like I'll never need it again. Thanks fellas.

Back