• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wierd shutter

jrsxj98

DILIGAF
Ok little back ground first....
8" lift Long Arms
RE sye cv shaft. newly rebuilt frt cv shaft
pinion approx 2* down.

at 70 mph range get a harmonic drone. but the problem occurs after I let of the accel. and then start accel. again between 1200 and 1700 rmp I get a pretty harsh shutter. Motor mounts look good. ujoints are solid. question is would a worn tranny mount cause this or am I over looking something else?

have you checked the rear drive shaft for trueness/dents/wacks?

Yeah there is just a small scrape in it from a trail run nothing major. If I cant track this down I was gonna take it and have it rebalanced. I am leaning more towards motor or tranny mount at this point.

Well, before you yank the D/S, I agree with checking the mounts. Do you know how to check the tranny mount? I think that is the one that would most likely cause the Shudder that you have, because my MJ tranny mount is collapsed, and the exhaust pipe rattles on the x-member pretty often.

Just read the specs. on your XJ again, and noticed that you have a CV shaft inthe rear. It is possible that the center pivot of the CV is going bad. I had this happen on 2 Dodge trucks on the front shaft and they shuddered real bad. Turned out that the center of the CV was galled and frozen. Amazing what happens when you forget to grease something.

Have you tried using less "down" angle on the pinion? It is possible that the angle is too great, and is causing a bind on the lower joint of the drive shaft. Just an idea.

Less down angle will cause the pinion to go past vertical on accel. I am pretty sure this is not a driveshaft issue.

Back