• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what will the end result be?

cykaaro

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking of removing my rear stabilizer as I've heard it said it doesn't do much whether on or off.
So what is the real truth of this be? If I remove the rear stabilizer how will it effect my on road and highway handling?
TIA

From my understanding if you had ordered an upcountry package the rear swaybar is not even there. That said I live in a very hilly area with a lot of twisty roads and enjoy the handling of my XJ on those back roads.

If you're not going to be towing any long trailers with over a 2" lift, take if off. Mine came with a tow package and had no stabalizer. Never had a problem towing with a lift. Got it over 3" inch and my 22 ft trailer gave me fits. Put on a stabalizer (even rigged some disconnects) for the towing and now the trailer acts like it should.

Thanks for the input. I"m doing a BB lift right now. Got 1-1.5" in the back from adding to the sagging leaf packs, and have grand cherokee front coils to put in to even the front out, just have to put them in. I'm not towing anything at present, just have the capability to if needs be. Only thing I need to find out is if I have to have it on for getting a safety or not. I left them on when I did the rear leafs, but with reading on here, I'm limiting my flex with having it on which I think has given me traction problems when playing around at a near by construction site seeing what mine can and can't do. [Nothing too hard yet other than I get stuck in mud way too easily if it's several inches deep]

I can´t see removing the sway bar improving traction much. Sway bar helps to make the handling more predictable, especially when it gets loose.
Just guessing, but I´m thinking the reason the sway bar was deleted with the heavier springs, was because the stiffer springs limited the sway and twist, to near the OEM specs. (with lighter springs and the sway bar). The flatter the axle the better the control on most really loose surfaces.
In the mud, sway compromises inertia and makes control harder. Same reason many vehicles lifted more than necessary, are often slower in the mud. Much of the energy is expended going sideways, instead of forward.
Having the right tires, a some type of limited slip differential and driving technique, are your best traction aids in the mud.

Mine was gone the first week I owned it.
I regularly tow 2 snowmobiles up and down about 25 miles of canyon with no ill effects. I do have 4" of lift too!
The wife and I just bought a Viking Tent Trailer (not a small one either!) and other than not having trailer brakes, it tows fine. I have the controller, just haven't put it in yet... :laugh3:

Got rif of my rear sway bar and really noticed the difference on bouncy, country roads. Installed a RE 4.5 lift and all the sway went away. Rides like a champ.

Back