• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I did something stupid,help fast!

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I admit it,I'm an idiot.
I didn't install the flex plate before I bolted the flywheel and transmission up.(5 speed 4.0)I unbolted the transmission and pried it back far enough to have room to slide the flex plate in but it keeps getting caught on the 2 dowels on the back of the motor(one on each lower side of the motor).I already tried to pry them out of the block but they won't budge.....they should come out,right?
I'm thinking the easiest way to get it in without dropping the tranny again is to hack saw the 2 dowels it won't slide past,which raises a question:what purpose do these dowels serve?Are they just to aid in installation of the transmission?Do they add torsional stiffness to the transmission mounting point?

I don't want to cut them out and then have my bellhousing crack.
Please advise.

ok...I am missing something, if you have a 5sp, you would not use a flexplate. What part are you refering to?

I would keep the dowels, just drop the trans it will be easier in the long run.

Rev

?

Before we get into anything else, the "flexplate" is found in front of an automatic transmission, and the torque converter bolts to it. The "flywheel" is found in front of a manual, and that's what the clutch is attached to.

Since you say "5-speed," I'm assuming you're talking about something to do with the flywheel - you don't have a flexplate.

There is an "inspection plate" that covers the lower bellhousing, is this what you mean? You should be able to slip the transmission back about an inch and clear the dowels, as I recall.

A dowel is usually used as primary location for two assemblies that have to maintain relative positions, with the bolts as secondary location and retaining tension. I would NOT rpt NOT cut the dowels - for safety's sake (bolts aren't the greatest things in the world loaded in shear - there's a reason they used dowels there.)

Dowels are usually pressed into one member they are to locate, and require special tools to remove and install. A production dowel is not installed by accident or for convenience - they're there on purpose.

Fortunately, they're not very long - they don't have to be, the way they're loaded. Just get a little more room...

5-90

Yup, don't be an idiot twice on the same project :D Pull the tranny as far back or remove as necessary. Sometimes you just hafta bite the bullet and do it twice.

Ok so the correct term is inspection plate sorry about that.The thing that makes it seek like it doesn't want to slip up in there is the dowels and it seem like the flywheel is keeping it from sliding past the dowels...not the bellhousing(the dowels are in the block and the inspection plate fits between the block and flywheel)

Last edited:
Oh, THAT! I'd forgotten about that thing!

That is a "Clutch Housing Spacer," and you will definitely need to pull the transmission to get that in there. What a pain - it's one of those parts you end up wanting to kick yourself REALLY hard for forgetting the first time (don't ask me how I know...)

5-90

Never mind. 5-90 covered it.

Last edited:
5-90 said:
Oh, THAT! I'd forgotten about that thing!

That is a "Clutch Housing Spacer," and you will definitely need to pull the transmission to get that in there. What a pain - it's one of those parts you end up wanting to kick yourself REALLY hard for forgetting the first time (don't ask me how I know...)
haha so I'm not the only one,eh?

5-90
haha so I'm not the only one,eh? I ended up using a angle grinder w/cutoff wheel to cut the two "ears" off each side of the dust cover and it slid right into place.Hope that's not going to cause any problems.....

So the thing that part does is act as a dust shield for the clutch/flywheel and a spacer for the bellhousing?
Thanks guys,I owe you all a cold one...

Last edited:
Back