• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Break-in -- vent window replacement questions

BrianB

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday my '93 XJ was broken in to for the third time, I think, this time the passenger vent window was broken. I've long wanted to swap for opening windows, and here's my chance, but I am curious about some consensus on air leaks and whistling. Are they worth the extra ventilation?

Also, are there different tints on the glass?

If anyone is interested in the rest of the story, the radio bracket I made that prevented its theft, I'll tell that part too. Finally, I'm in the DFW area and I need to solve the parts problem today.

Thanks.

I recently replaced an opening vent window with a solid window because it was available. Original window did whistle at highway speed, but it was the weastherstriping around the frame that caused it. It might be hard to find an opening vent window that has good weatherstripping around the frame because of the way the window pivots.

Yes, there are different tint levels, so you might want to match it up if it's a concern. A darker tint vent on a dark colored XJ doesn't look out of place.

They can leak and whistle, but they can be adjusted at least somewhat. If you're looking at a junkyard window, check the bottom pivot carefully (where there's a big spring). When they get old and rusty, they tend to break at the point where the pivot pin joins the bottom of the frame. The window will still operate, but it will pivot at that joint instead of turning against the spring beneath, and it will flop loosely. If you're shopping the boneyard vehicles, don't bother with any that flop open. It can't be fixed reasonably.

Loose latches are no problem. Underneath the handle is a hollow shaft with a phillips screw that holds it to the glass. You can take the handle off (little roll pin) and retighten it. You can also adjust the position of the glass in its rubber seal a little bit by loosening the screw at the top pivot. Slight leaks and whistles can be cured by rubbing a little silicone grease on the weatherstripping where it meets the glass.

It never ceases to amaze me how helpful some people are on this board. Thanks for the info. You guys told me exactly what I needed to know.

I lucked out and found a pivot window in great shape, from an '88, and the swap went smoothly. And I found a great dash panel to boot.

Back