• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hookin up a tach

haynesn12

NAXJA Forum User
i put a tach in my mj today and hooked it up to the green/white wire off the coil. the tach works and i get a reading but the rpm's seem low. is it possible i hooked into the wrong negative wire on the coil? any ideas?

Many electronic tachs have a switch on the inside to select the number of cylinders your engine has. Make sure it's set correctly.
,Ron

I second what Zuki-Ron wrote

haynesn12 said:
i put a tach in my mj today and hooked it up to the green/white wire off the coil. the tach works and i get a reading but the rpm's seem low. is it possible i hooked into the wrong negative wire on the coil? any ideas?
GRN/WHT should be the correct wire.

What tach/model, etc.. ??

well maybe i am just not used to the way the engine tachs maybe if someone could tell me like where there's tachs at like 25 in 2nd, and differant speeds in diff gears. that might help

if you have a older cherokee w/o a tach you could just go the wrekers and find a cluster from a simmiler year and just plug it in everything will work the same as well as the tach.

My 91 XJ idles between 900-1000 rpm 1500 at 45 mph and 2100 at 75 mph with 235/75/15 tires.

Hope this helps

73's KG4BET

Back