• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ Dana 44

Hawaiian Style

NAXJA Forum User
To my horror I just discovered that Jeep thought it would be fun to make a D44 with an aluminum center section. Aside from lack of tons of after-market stuff avail. for this thing does anyone out there have any other info? I know not to jack it up using the diff but aside from that is there anything else I should know? Is this axle junk? I asked the folks at the NAGCA but no one seems to be intersted in this one... Maybe ya'll can help me out.

Thanks

Yes, it's junk. The housing is weak, the internals are not interchangable with a "real" Dana 44, and some of the usual traction devices are not offered for it.

Since it would require some work to adapt to a leaf spring vehicle, it's definitely not worth the effort involved. In fact, even if it were ready to bolt in, it STILL wouldn't be worth the effort. I'd rather have a Dana 35.

Don't want to adapt it to anything, it's already sitting under my ZJ. Just wondered how the things held up. Emailed Jeep and asked them about it. Here's their first response:

Thank you for your email expressing interest in Jeep information.

The information you are seeking is unavailable from DaimlerChrysler via email. General information on the subject matter may be available through your local Jeep dealer.

We appreciate your interest.

After pointing out that my dealer didn't know squat about the axle and that Jeep / DaimlerChrysler should probably know SOMETHING about their axle choices they responded with this:

Dear Dave:

Thank you for contacting DaimlerChrysler again.

I would try the following for the information:

(1)Willys Jeep (1-888-265-5337)...this is another dealership that
locates old Jeep parts.

(2)Surplus City (1-818-767-3666)...Specializing in Jeep parts.

Thank you again for contacting us. Feel free to contact us again if you have any more questions or concerns.

At least now I know where to get parts for the old Willy's I don't own!

Back