• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'01 XJ Coil Springs

The LCAs stay put. A "strut" spring compressor will work, HOWEVER it is a pain in the a$$. It is much easier to disconnect the track bar, drag link and maybe one end of the shocks. It's just a couple of bolts and will save lots of time, frustration and you won't have to worry about all that kinetic energy.

How would I know this? LOL! I too tried the easy way on my '01, although year has little of nothing to do with it. The next time I remembered, "the slow way is the fast way."

dlafferty said:
I'm putting spacers on my front coils. If i have a spring compressor will i still need to disconnect the LCA's, sway bar, etc.?

I know it sounds crazy, but you don't want a spring compressor. You want a strut compressor. A spring compressor will not work because it goes on the inside of the spring. That makes it kinda hard to install the spring with the comp. inside of it. A strut compressor works on the outside of the spring. You can loan one out from AutoZone. When I did mine, I disconnected the swaybar and that was it, nothing else. Might want to consider thinking ahead a little, while your at it. If you have bump-stops in your future, you might want to drill and tap the pad (what are those things called?) inside of the spring on the axle side to use as a mount. HTH

Haleyes
:us:

those work just fine, but wait till they slip around so that both are on the same side and its bowing like a son of a ... just take off the track bar and lca and shocks. make things so much easier.

I agree with Ramsey and Bent. I replaced my springs this past weekend, waaaaay easier to drop the LCAs, trac bar, brake calipers, and shocks.

In fact it was easier to drop the whole axle and put it back with just jack stands in my garage than it was to put the lift on originally in a shop on a lift while trying strut compressors that had a tendency to bow the spring in one direction or the other, and never compressed them enough in the first place.

the biggest bind in my susp for downtravel was the swaybar. i removed the upper shock bolts first for maybe 1/2" more droop. then i removed the lower control arm bolts for another1/2" or so. then i removed the swaybar link bolts and the axle drooped another 2"

PapaPump said:
the biggest bind in my susp for downtravel was the swaybar. i removed the upper shock bolts first for maybe 1/2" more droop. then i removed the lower control arm bolts for another1/2" or so. then i removed the swaybar link bolts and the axle drooped another 2"
oh forgot about that, havent had one in about 6 months. good luck. let us know how it works or if you get any snags

Back