• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Remote entry module change out question

gba88

NAXJA Forum User
I installed an overhead console in my jeep, but never connected the wireless entry harness. I just don't trust it (yes, I know there are a million other ways for someone to steal it if they want to). Anyway, I still have the key fob that came with the jeep when I bought it and I was wondering if the codes are stored in the jeep's ECM or if they're stored in the wireless module?

That is, will the old key fob work with the wireless module that came out of the other jeep? For the record, it's a 99 and the console came from a 98.

You do realize how slim the chances are that anyone could get into your Jeep like that don't you? I don't think I've ever even heard of a vehicle being stolen that way. Its not like the old school garage door openers where you could drive around the neighborhood and open garage doors.

Atl XJ said:
You do realize how slim the chances are that anyone could get into your Jeep like that don't you? I don't think I've ever even heard of a vehicle being stolen that way. Its not like the old school garage door openers where you could drive around the neighborhood and open garage doors.

Yeah, I know it's pretty slim, but I've heard there are code scanners available that are able to defeat the system.

I remember when I was young, about once a week when an airplane or jet would be flying over my grandfather's house his garage door would open :)

So does anyone know whether or not the codes are stored in the ECM or the actual module itself?? If I can't get an answer, I guess I'll just drop the console again and connect the module. *That* will tell me 100% if it will work or not when I press the remote :)

The code is stored in the module. It's not a radio signal like a garage door, it's infrared like a TV remote

Car thieves are not that sophisticated to buy/make a infrared scanner when breaking a window works just as good.

langer1 said:
The code is stored in the module. It's not a radio signal like a garage door, it's infrared like a TV remote

Car thieves are not that sophisticated to buy/make a infrared scanner when breaking a window works just as good.

Dang, I was hoping it was stored in the main computer. Oh well. By the way, it's a 99 so it *is* radio frequency not infrared.

Correct on the 99 being RF not IR. To get the the remote to work hook up the module take the jeep to the dealer, and have them program it, or just take the old module from the dome lamp assembely, and transfer it to the overhead. When you get a new key fob it's code is permently linked to that. Its the module theat is programed to accept the key fob. In theroy if you had two, or more Crysler vehicles that have the same style key fob (ex.. XJ, WJ) you could have them programed to accept the signals from just two fobs. That way you would have to carry only one for both vehicles insted of one for each.

Well, screw that. Having the dealer reprogram it that is. I just called the dealer in town and a dealer about 20 miles away. In town dealer charges $30, the other $32.50. The woman at the second dealer said that it takes "a half hour".

I'm not even going to bother calling anywhere further out considering I'd lose the $30 in gas eventually. You guys who have gotten dealers to do it for free really lucked out. The first dealer I called was the exact dealer where the jeep was purchased too!

I read something about a scan tool being able to be used to re-program it. Anyone know anything about this? I searched the old posts but only found 1 that mentioned it...I think it was called a "DRB-III" IIRC. Are these the type you can buy in a parts store to read codes or something specific to DC's tools?

You can use the the remote that came programmed wiith the console. Just plug in the module and the remote will operate the door locks in your Jeep. No need for reprogramming.

JEEPZZ said:
You can use the the remote that came programmed wiith the console. Just plug in the module and the remote will operate the door locks in your Jeep. No need for reprogramming.

Problem is this: module in the OC is from the junkyard, and the remote I have is from the original module that was in the domelight that is now gone :(

Originally I was going to swap the module in the OC with the one that was in my domelight, but i saw no way of getting the one out of the OC without hacking the console up.

At the time, I didn't care since I really didn't want to have the wireless entry hooked up, but now ( a year later) I'm having second thoughts.

Oh and if anyone's interested....I looked up the DRB III chrysler scan tool.... they go for roughly $5000.00! so uh, no, I wouldn't be able to program it with any old OBD scanner(duh).

Back