• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Tow Hook Problem

gcam

NAXJA Forum User
I installed front hooks on my '88 with no problems, and got a set of front hooks and brackets from a wrecker for my '96. Everything bolted right up, but off course I had to buy new mounting hardware (nuts, bolts, washers).

I don't know why, but the sway bar rubs on the heads of both bolts that passes through the frame rails. this regular "clunk-clunk" when i go over bumps is driving me nuts! Anybody else ever experience this? All i used was regular Gr.5 bolts and washers. Did the factory bolts not use washers under the heads?

Thanks,
Geoff

I don't use washers on my farther bolt, and it works fine, with no contact with the sway bar. Think about taking out that washer to see if it helps.

I used carriage bolts on mine. I intalled a Custom 4X4 kit and the sway bar does not touch at all.
Alex

Last edited:
Second the carriage bolts. Installed Custom4x4 brackets on the 2000, they hit rub and clunk all the time. My sister's C4x4 brackets came with carriage bolts, hers are quiet.
Tom

C4x4 sent me some bolts with a shaved head when I had that problem. Also, make sure your sway bar is centered. If not, center it and us some hose clamps to keep it there.

-Chris

Back