• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cold Air Intake-Snorkel thought?

XJ99

NAXJA Forum User
Well Im thinking about re-designing my pretty basic snorkel set-up with a flat filter and hole in the stock air box routed to the snorkel. While I like the Idea and set-up of the Intense Performance canister, Its out of my price league. I'v thought about all the Canister Items I could replicate (coffee can, paint can, other vehicle Intake box's, and I even saw a humidifer worked up for a YJ). I came across some pictures Just googling and was wondering If this would work, I think It would work, I actually Just want your Input. It would be a slightly time consuming Job but would probably pay off. Here's my Idea...

Where the red X is in the picture below I would create a gasket to hook to my current snorkel. Where the cone filter is, obviously this would go to the Intake hook-up. And the little breather line from the top of the engine will have Its own little breather/filter. My only concern is, will this all fit in the stock XJ air box? I havent taken measurements yet but I soon will....Heres the pic

After I finished this airbox mod I would seal It up well and do this to the outside of the box to create a somewhat "heatshield", Pics below

So then It all gets routed to my snorkel and In some Instance I have a sealed cold air Intake with a cone filter and breather vs. the stock flat filter. Any thoughts? Not as great as the Intense performance model like I said, but tons tons tons cheaper :lecture:

Looks cone shaped to me, I'll have to look Into It but I can bet their Just as pricey coming off a 2004 truck...an F350 for that matter...

2004 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab - 6.0L Diesel/Torqshift Transmission - 172 Wheel Base - Dual Rear Wheels

The Excursion (MY05) here at work has a similar style canister but it is smooth plastic on the outside. Appears to be about the same size.

Back