• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Old Man Emu Kit plus 2" blocks or 4.5 RE kit

xjdavid1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2" Old Man Emu kit and want to go to about 4". Would I get the same height by using a 2" block on the coil spring at the front and an extra leaf and RE shakle at the rear as a 4.5"RE Kit. I am planning on running 32x11.5 tyres.

More than likely the best kit for you would be the 3.5 RE with the full leaf packs. You'll spend less and end up with over 4" lift. Trim some and fit the 32s fine.

You can use spacers up front, and for the rear, I would use two OME JCXL AALs along with the RE shackles.

This should give you the ride height that you want, but may be a little soft, and tipsy.

Fergie

The aformentioned setup is what my ThumperXJ uses currently, that is, OME springs and RE spacers on the front, and OME leafpacks with the OME JCXL AALs and RE shackles in the rear, with OME nitrochargers all the way around. Yes, it gets you four full inches of lift,(Good for 31s) yes, its soft, NO, its not tipsy, and if yer gonna go that way, youd be better off getting a full-on kit from RE, because that includes EVERYTHING in one package, and you end up spending a little less money. Ive had the OME setup for about two years now, wheeled heavily, even jumped on occasion, and no sag yet, Thump still sits as high as when I put the suspention on there. OME is EXCELLENT suspention, but as mentioned, you have to spend the extra cash for all the other lil doodads to go along with it, with no chance of adding hieght unless you bastardize it with other manufacturers parts.

Thump- What kind of laod do you hall in the back of your XJ? Any aftermarket bumper/tire carrier?

My comment on tipsy-ness came from my experience with the afore mentioned.

OME will hold fine with STOCK vehicles, but WILL NOT if you carry extra weight in the back, or tow often.

And yes, I agree with Fergie. OME has a somewhat softer rate than most care for, and loading up the rear with a heavy steel bumper, tire/jack/jerrycan carrier will DEFINENTLY make that more noticable. One of the reasons why my ThumperXJ has stock bumpers still, and I carry all my trail recovery gear and full sized spare inside, pretty nearly over the back axle. And REMEMBER! The springs and shocks wont be the only thing youll want to be putting on. (Adjustable track bar and HD bracket, discos, heavier tie rod, STEERING BOX BRACE!<(Thats an IMPORTANT one) Ect...

I agree with everyone here. I have OME coils and full packs sitting on 1.5" extended shackles and ACOS with OME LT shocks. It rides ok, but I had to tinker A LOT to get things working together. I say order yourself the RE 3.5 kit and add OME shocks you'll have components engineered to work together. Don't get me wrong the OME stuff is top notch, but I do believe it is best left alone without add-ons like spacers and shackles.

Thumpersdriver, you forgot to tell him about the new SYE, drive shaft, upper and lower control arms, extended brake lines and replacement for his wornout steering stabilizer 8^)

Last edited:
I got the 4.5 Re kit, full packs.
love it
wouldn't do anyting else... cept maybe the s10 bastard pack to replace the re leaves (search for it if you feel like saving 200-300 bucks)

Well, The ride is nice for me, i have a huge bumper, front and rear, plus a hi-lift jack on the front, and a spare tire on the rear, and it rides really smooth. but when i take the weight off it gets really stiff.

I don't think you need the drop brackets.
and what ever you do don't get the cheap RE disconnects. (two pin method) drop the $for the JKS.
for the first year i had my lift the ride was crap, and the front end was super loud. i finally got fed up with it and put the jks on and it made a world of differnce.
anyway.
thats my opinion.

Dirk Pitt said:
More than likely the best kit for you would be the 3.5 RE with the full leaf packs. You'll spend less and end up with over 4" lift. Trim some and fit the 32s fine.
if the RE 3.5 lift gets you over 4 inces of lift, could some 31x12.5 fit under there with the right backspacing? i know you probably wont be to flex fully, but i mean just rubbing around turns and things like that

Back