• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driver's side front corner window installation

rianardo

NAXJA Forum User
I didn't look extensively on the 'Net but just wondering if anyone had a tip on how to install the front corner window. Someone try to steal the Jeep last night and they smashed it (thought it was an older one I guess cuz they tried to pry it open...got brains?). Smashed up the steering column too.

Anyhow, I've got the seal out and cleaned out the broken glass...is it easy to do myself once I have a new piece of glass? Plug and play? Or do I have to move the other window brace out of the way? Any help appreciated...thanks.

Cheers,
Rian

P.S. I'll be asking about the steering column too but I'll see if I can figure that out myself once I'm in there.

I don't think you can find the glass separately, and as far as I know there's no reliable way to get it in anyway. The vent window comes as a unit with its rubber weatherstrip and frame, which includes the entire forward track for the roll-down window. A junkyard is probably your best source for this. It's not all that hard to remove and replace. You need to take the inside door panel off, roll down the window, and pull off the outside trim (the piece that seals the outside of the roll-down window). Be careful when you pull that trim piece out, not to bend it too badly. It's pressed on from above and held by little teeth, so you just pull it upward. You'll find two screws in the top area of the door frame, and one screw in the door near the bottom of the track. When these screws are removed, you can then pull the top of the vent window frame back until the rubber weatherstrip disengages from the door, then pull it up and out toward the outside of the door. Take some care getting the tab at the bottom of the track up past the corner of the rollup window (that's why you had to take the outer trim piece off). Installation is the reverse. Work it down, make sure the rubber isn't folded or kinked, and bolt it down. There's some adjustment at the bottom to get the right fit for the movable window in its track. Test that before you put the panel back on.

Just replaced the right side vent glass in my XJ. Picked up a replacement at a junkyard for $US 55.00. As MC says, the weather stripping and frame are all one piece. Job should take you 30 minutes or so.

Done this 2 times in the past week. Once swapping to fixed windows, then some homeless guy broke in to steal 2 dollars from my center console. Matthew Currrie had it right. Only tips I can suggest is that once those 3 screws/bolts are out, you can take the main piece of glass and "push" it towards the front of the car. It is only held on by one bolt and this helps with the departure angle of the glass. 55 for glass from a junkyard? Where did you go, Olympic 4x4? I sell them on ebay for only 25. Live in Seattle as well.

Kellen

Back