• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ and v8?

Engines

2.5L I4 carburated - 105 hp @ 5000 rpm, 132 ft lb torque @ 2800 rpm - used in 84-85 models
2.5L I4 TBI (fuel injected) - 117 hp @ 5000 rpm, 135 ftlb @ 3500 rpm - used in 86 and updated in 87-90 to 121hp
2.5L I4 MPI (multi-port injection) - 130 hp @ 5250 rpm, 139 ft lb @ 3250 rpm - used in 91-00

GM 2.8L V6 - 115 hp @ 4800 rpm, 145 ft lb @ 2400 rpm - used in 84-86

Renault 2.1L 4cyl. Turbo Diesel - 85 hp @ 3750 rpm, 132 ft lb @ 2750 rpm - used in 85-87

Italian VM 2.5L Turbo Diesel - 140 hp, 236 ft lb torque - used in overseas XJs

4.0L I6 EFI "Power Tech" - 177 hp @ 4750 rpm, 220 ft lb @ 4000 rpm - used 87-90
4.0L I6 MPI "Power Tech HO" (High Output) - 190 hp @ 4750 rpm, 220 ft lb @ 4,000 rpm - used in 91-95 and updated in 96-01 to 225 ft lb torque @ 3000 rpm (00-01 models use a distributorless ignition system)

Also note that the V8s used in the Grand Cherokees-4.7l, 5.2 (318), 5.9 (360) and the new 5.7l HEMI are of Chrysler design and are not directly swappable without modification into an XJ that was designed for one of the engines mentioned by peeweexj (mostly AMC pattern) designs. The engine-transmission bolt pattern and engine mounting is not the same.

The 4 cyl and V6 2.8 share the same bell pattern. It's GM 60 degree (not 90 degree like the V8). CJs with GM 4 cyl and auto use the Chev V8 pattern. You could use Grand Cherokee motor mounts and trans in a XJ, but it would require some surgery to fit and the rad would be far too small. (A buddy of mine did a Chev V8 swap and even with a $500 custom rad, it still runs very hot when wheeling)

Not true

Sorry.

Yeah, don't know where that info came from. The XJ is a unibody and really won't handle the power of a big V8 withough some pretty good mods if you're going to use it for anything but the grocery store.

purl said:
Yeah, don't know where that info came from. The XJ is a unibody and really won't handle the power of a big V8 withough some pretty good mods if you're going to use it for anything but the grocery store.
Well, this is equally untrue.

First off, the Grand Wagoneer is a unibody that is structurally almost identical to the XJ. In fact, the ZJ was originally going to replace the XJ. And Chrysler sold probably more V8 ZJs than 6-cyl, including the 5.9 liter version.

And -- back in AMC days, the 390 c.i.d. Hurst SC/Rambler was a unibody Rambler American with a high performance 390 c.i.d. V8 stuffed in it. And the Javelin7AMX 401 was also a unibody. Haven't yet heard of one of those being "ripped apart" by the V8 engine.

Where do you guys get this stuff? Wait, I know -- you read it in Jp Magazine, and you believed it.

Eagle said:

First off, the Grand Wagoneer is a unibody that is structurally almost identical to the XJ. In fact, the ZJ was originally going to replace the XJ. And Chrysler sold probably more V8 ZJs than 6-cyl, including the 5.9 liter version.

And -- back in AMC days, the 390 c.i.d. Hurst SC/Rambler was a unibody Rambler American with a high performance 390 c.i.d. V8 stuffed in it. And the Javelin7AMX 401 was also a unibody. Haven't yet heard of one of those being "ripped apart" by the V8 engine.

Where do you guys get this stuff? Wait, I know -- you read it in Jp Magazine, and you believed it.

I get it from reading, learning, and personal experiece, my friend. Wasn't saying they didn't make unibodies with V8s. I'm saying if you want to wheel them hard, the unibody needs help, ESPECIALLY with a Big Torqy V8. Heck, the unibody needs help even w/out the added weight and twist of a V8. I own an XJ and love it, don't get me wrong, but I have spent a lot of money and time strengthening the unibody to make it work like it should.

BTW, I don't read Jp Magazine

Last edited:
Eagle said:

i see a typo, i belive eagle ment grand cherokee not grand wagoneer, cause my 90 g wagon is definetly not unibody

robz95xj said:
i see a typo, i belive eagle ment grand cherokee not grand wagoneer, cause my 90 g wagon is definetly not unibody
I did, indeed, mean Grand Cherokee. Thanks.

Yeah, I once owned a 1978 full-size so I do know that it wasn't a unibody. Sorry.

Eagle said:

You mean Grand Cherokee? Or the '93ish fake Grand Wagoneer ZJ? The '84 to '91 GWs are full frame (I've stripped one down to bare frame ) The SC/Rambler (super charged) was unibody, but it was built with V8 in mind. The designer of the XJ did his best to make sure the "ugly" (his words, not mine) inline six never made it under the hood of his design. 4 cyl or a little V6 was plenty for anything the XJ would be used for!

rrriggggghhhhht!

Eagle, go ask C-ROK why he spent all his time and money making a frame for the XJ. He will be glad to know that he has wasted his time and efforts.

There's been lots of stout V-8 unibodies. If they race the 1/4, the rules tend to make the sheetmetal last a little longer- if it's fast enough that the engine is really putting a hurt on the 'chassis' then it has to have a cage.

A friend's hot Mustang never had a cage, though, and it had a perma-warp twisted into the front.

carnuck said:
The SC/Rambler (super charged) was unibody, but it was built with V8 in mind.
The SC/Rambler was a Rambler American body. The basic unibody design dated to 1964, before AMC even started producing the engine family that later became the 390. The American very definitely was not built with a V8 in mind, and certainly not one as potent as the hopped up 390 they stuffed into the SC/Rambler.

And it wasn't supercharged. It had a ram-air hood scoop. Before you call SPOBI, permit me to point out that my aunt owned a 1964 American, which I worked on; I owned a 1966 American; and my brother and I raced a 1969 SC/Rambler.

Back