• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator: Need some pics or good explanation

white99z

NAXJA Forum User
I need to put a radiator in my girlfriends 95 XJ today and have never done a radiator before. Is there anything I need to look out for or certain steps I need to take? Does anyone have any diagrams or pictures on changing out a radiator that I could use. I am sure I have the ability to do it, just need to know where to start. Thanks for the help.

You need a set of Torx bits.A good pair of pliars to remove the hose clamps.Replace the upper and lower hoses while you have it apart,even the thermostat all with factory parts.
Some anti-sieze to put on the bolts when you put them back.
Flare nut wrenches for the tranny lines if you need them.Be carefull with the shroud over the clutch fan,just loosen and move back,remove the elect fan and set aside.
All of the bolts on top of the radiator support and two on the inside at battery and air box.Even the hood latch.
Be careful with the small bolt on the rubber pads when you transfer them.
I think thats all--- use distilled water and anti-freeze to re-fill.A new rad cap .
Wayne

Thanks. It doesnt sound too difficult. Is it difficult at all? About how long should it take me? The radiator wont be in till tomorrow now so I will be doing it sometime tomorrow afternoon.

Its pretty straight forward, just take your time. My 95 took about 1.5 hrs with screwin around. When its all said and done I parked mine in a way that the front of the vehicle was higher than the rear and the cap was higher than the rest. It seemed to help burp the system. Also as I added coolant and it seemed full I gently squeezed the upper several times which helps air get out of the system. If your feelin brave go invest in a trans cooler if it dosent already have one.

If you've never done it before, take your time and use your noodle. I usually put a big pan under the lower hose and remove the lower radiator hose at the pump (slowly) and let the coolant drain from there. It's easier if you give yourself some more room, like removing the air filter box, though this isn't absolutely necessary, it usually makes things easier. The radiator hoses have a tendency to stick. It´s better to work them some, before trying brute force to move them. The large hose clamps (rings) can be a pain, takes Patience if you don´t have a set of hose clamp pliers. Watch the paint when removing the front torx bolts, I usually wrap my torx bit and lower extension end with a piece of tape. A dab of grease on the threads of each bolt before reassembly, will make things a whole lot easier next time. Cleaning (3M pad) the intake at the pump and at the thermostat housing, helps prevent leaks, the aluminum often grows some corrosion. The radiator in and out rarely leaks.
Be careful not to bang the radiator on any sharp corners, a good trick if you don't completely remove the fan and shroud, is to tape a piece of cardboard over the fins as protection. Takes a little extra time, but can save catastrophe.

Back