• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What manual tranny & computer for a stroker?

kevin s

NAXJA Forum User
O.K. all you stroker boys and girls. What manual transmission do you recommend? We are going to build up a 4.0 to go into my son's Scrambler. Will be swapping his 258 for the 4.7. Would like to keep the Dana 300.

What computer do I need to work the '90 Renix FI stuff? Will an auto ECU work, or do I need one out of a manual?

I posted a slightly different query that you can read here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=548083#post548083

I know there are a million other things to consider, but let's keep the responses to transmission choices and the computer for now. Too much info makes my head hurt. TIA.

ax15, and get a computer for a 4.0, ax15 combo

with some work, you can get a 300 to bolt up to an ax15 directly like i did, but, its prolly worth getting the spacer/adapter

I have a stroker and AX-15. The tranny should be able to handle the power with out any issues. Mine has survived so far and I like to drag race :wierd:

It doesnt matter which ECU you get, an ECU from a 4.0L with an auto tranny will work. I am running an AX-15 in my XJ now but it used to have an auto and I didnt change the computer.

AARON

Thank you thank you thank you.

Anyone running a different tranny?
The AX-15 is the obvious answer, I guess.
NV3550 or NV 4500 anyone?
We had a T-18 in it for awhile, but it sucks on the highway.

It doesn't really matter which computer you use - the RENIX used a divorced TCU.

For transmissions, the AX15 is acceptable, but the NV3550 would be a much better choice. If you're inclined - or have the room, time, or fabrication ability - I'd go with the NV4550, it's a much stronger box (I'd like to find either one of the latter to go into my 88...)

5-90

I've run an NV4500 in my XJ for 7 years now. Nice box for crawling, and cruising the highway, but the wide ratio splits make acceleration less brisk.

Deep OD of .73 allows the use of deeper axle gears. Kind of nice.

A 3550 or AX15 would be fine behind a stroker. They don't make enough power to hurt either box.

CRASH

Back