• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring KC Driving Lights

chilibill

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting ready to install KC driving lights on my 1990 XJ. What is the easiest way to run the wires through the firewall? Also, where is the best place to pick up power? Should I connect directly to the battery or is there a power buss I can hook to easily?

The power distributon fuse box, thats behind the battery on most cherokees. On the front side of the box, there is a post where the battery connects to the PDC box and some colored fusible link, it uses ring terminals held down with a nut. You can just add another ring terminal there for youre stuff.

Thanks for the help. Now, where is the best place to run the wires through the firewall to the passenger compartment? Are there easily accessable holes already there or do I need to drill a hole? If I need to drill, where is the safest spot?

Thanks again.

chilibill said:
Thanks for the help. Now, where is the best place to run the wires through the firewall to the passenger compartment? Are there easily accessable holes already there or do I need to drill a hole? If I need to drill, where is the safest spot?

Thanks again.
Anywhere where there's nothing behind where your drilling LOL You just kinda have to look and make sure your not drilling into anything. Good luck. Also if you go to KC's website http://www.kchilites.com/faq.aspx#WiringQuestions
and there are some diagrames. Good luck. Jeff

If you are doing it correctly with a relay there is no need to run more than ONE 12ga or 14ga wire thru the firewall and thats the one from the switch that you put on the dash and is used to operate the relay. The relay should be near the battery and fused on it's high current side that supplies power to the lights.

Don't run all the wires from the lights thru the firewall and do the wiring and relay work inside.

I've always used the existing hole/grommet where the accelerator cable goes through

Second what Rich P says about not running all the wires through & back...

I hate to disagree with you like this but I have both all the wires running through, its a pretty big hole but has a grommet.

I had my relay fail prematurely as I mentioned in a previous post. The included relay wasn't sealed and it pretty much failed because it got moisture and salty dust in it. I decided to relocate critical components to a protected area and there wasn't a suitable and unused location outside the cab.

So heres a schematic, I currently have 5 wires going through, its all neatly kept by split looms. I have a switch so you can have the lights on, off or on when the high beams go on and my MAP voltage adjuster.

schematic4sy.jpg

I figured my Hella (German) lights needed some German style overengineering,

Back