• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow capacity of '98 Cherokee Classic?

JeepMaz

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody know what the towing capacity is of a '98 Cherokee Classic? I've seen numbers ranging from 2000lbs to 5000lbs. I want to tow a buddy's 3300lb trans-am on a car dolly, but don't want to mess up the Jeep. It is stock, no mods, class III hitch installed, automatic transmission.

Last edited:
loook at the sticker on the driver door i can't remember even though i looked at it the other day. you will be fine towing that car

With the 4.0 and the AW-4, towing capacity should be 5000 lbs. (less with the manual trans.)

I WOULD, however, throw an external trans cooler (if not already equipped) on it if I were towing anything close to that upper limit.

The Classic was only available with automatic. With automatic and when equipped with the trailer tow package (HD cooling, external tranny cooler) the tow capacity is 5000 pounds with a weight-distributing hitch.

The 2000 pound figure applied to models with standard transmission -- which did not include the Classic.

You could option the ax-15 on a classic (I've seen one...super rare), but the aw4 was standard. As for the trans cooler, is one better off using a factory one, or getting something aftermarket? Mine didn't have the factory tow package, but I'm slowly upgrading it. Thoughts?

Old school logic on coolers = bigger is better

Factory piece is not huge but does make a diff. I would go aftermarket with more surface area if there was no factory unit.

HTH,
Travis

Boris T said:
Old school logic on coolers = bigger is better

Factory piece is not huge but does make a diff. I would go aftermarket with more surface area if there was no factory unit.

HTH,
Travis
Just grab one from the parts store, or hold out for a "name brand"?

Sorry for the newb questions...I'm not much of an auto tranny guru. I've taken them apart and put them back together, but that's as far as it goes.

I would get a stacked plate cooler like the B&M supercoolers. I had a Perma Cool tube and fin cooler and would have engine oil temps as high as 230 degrees on hot days. When I switched to the B&M, the temps dropped about 20 to 30 degrees. Both coolers were approximately the same size.
One of these days, I'm going to put in the other one (I bought two) for the trans.
K

JeffsJeep04 said:
Just grab one from the parts store, or hold out for a "name brand"?

Sorry for the newb questions...I'm not much of an auto tranny guru. I've taken them apart and put them back together, but that's as far as it goes.

No worries bro! I would just grab one at any local store, especially the one with the cheapest price!

Travis
:geek:

Back