• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will clevis hold??

millerJoop79

NAXJA Forum User
i cut my bumper right at the support rail and on the bracket from the bumper i welded a stout peice of steel with a hole in the end for the clevis. will the bracket be enough support?? thanks

83181854_282219206_0.jpeg

:eek: ....
pokinit.gif

Nope.

Ever see a 30' snatch strap toss a hook THRU the steel windshield frame of a CJ? I had something very simaller to that on the back of mine and that is what happend....NEVER again.

Rev

link dosn't work and the picture is tiny, but from what i can see it looks like you used the stock bumper brackets and bolted a piece of steel with one:gag: bolt holding your new tow point on. ahh to say the least it is not strong enough. the stock bumper mounts are very weak and not a good spot to make your only mounting point. think of your truck stuck behind some rock no hope of moving then your buddy hooks in to you new bracket to try and strap you out gets some slack in the strap and gives his rig all its got whaaaaa... PING off comes your new bracket flying at some ungodly speed at his rear window it takes out his rear window passes thru the back of his head rest and into his skull killing him instantly. about the only thing in this situation you can be thankfull for is that he died quickly. PLEASE SEARCH. there are many pics discriptions and writups on how to make proper tow points

ps that whole story thing is not far from what can happen i have heard too many stories of people dying because of metal objects attached to the straps incorectly.

bj-666 said:
link dosn't work and the picture is tiny, but from what i can see it looks like you used the stock bumper brackets and bolted a piece of steel with one:gag: bolt holding your new tow point on. ahh to say the least it is not strong enough. the stock bumper mounts are very weak and not a good spot to make your only mounting point. think of your truck stuck behind some rock no hope of moving then your buddy hooks in to you new bracket to try and strap you out gets some slack in the strap and gives his rig all its got whaaaaa... PING off comes your new bracket flying at some ungodly speed at his rear window it takes out his rear window passes thru the back of his head rest and into his skull killing him instantly. about the only thing in this situation you can be thankfull for is that he died quickly. PLEASE SEARCH. there are many pics discriptions and writups on how to make proper tow points

ps that whole story thing is not far from what can happen i have heard too many stories of people dying because of metal objects attached to the straps incorectly.
Well, this thread went from G to PG-13 in no time.

bj-666 said:

well, there is 3 bolts holding the bracket on rather than one but even than i still thought the bracket might be a little weak. thanks for the input

Back