• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hellas on your luggage rack

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
ive seen some jeep with like 4 hellas or procomps, whatever mounted on thier luggage rack bar. i think its looks badass but how do they go about hiding the wires and getting the wires inside the car? drilling im sure but where? and what do u wire them to?

You drill them wherever you determine that its the best location for your wires, so theyre hidden by the roof rack, like through/under its brackets, look around. Inside you want to run them along the roof rail wherever you can hide them. You wire them the same as if they were installed somewhere else (per manufacturers instructions) but youll need more wire and to bust out the soldering gun. I did this w/ a toyota p/u w/ shell I briefly had, neighbor gave me a used set of lights. I was unsatisfied as the lights weren't parallel, the left one leaned to the left and the right one to the right (since the roof is curved).

If you have a 4 door open the doors and look at the B pillar, see the plastic plug in there, you can run them thru that and down the B pillar. As far as the wires from each light, go get some plastic wiring loom and some T connectors to make it really neat. Some have also run them down the back to the plugs behind the tail light assemblys.
Personally I'd go get water tight plug and socket and put that in the B pillar area so that you can unplug the harness and remove the rack with the lights on for when not in use.
My pet peeve is the cost of the mounting tabs for the surco racks. I'd like to see one up close and see how they do it then make my own with a built in upside down bill to keep reflected light on the hood to a minimum.

There is enough foom (2001) to get the wires up the "A" pillar on the drivers side. Getting the wires pulled through the end of the dash is a PITA, but there is room for four wrapped (tightly) wires. This allows you to put your relays up above the clutch/brake pedal right where you will be pulling your power in from the engine compartment. The only wires that will need to be of any extended length would maybe be your trigger wires depending on where you put your switches.

As Rich said about the reflected light, you will be thinking about painting your hood flat black after a couple of night runs.

But once you get used to wearing your sunglasses at night, it wont be bad at all. ;)

Back