• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS brakes on 91's what to do?

Cri-tter said:
What is the standard replacement system for this flawed brake system and how difficult is it to do your self?

Can you elaborate?

I have a 91 with abs that stopped working long before I owned it.

The previous owner just blacked over the ABS indicator light so it would pass inspection.
The braking system works just fine without the abs.

I have a '92 XJ. My ABS began comming on unexpectedly. Fried my front rotors, calipers, and pads. I just unplugged both electrical connections to the pump unit. This was several years ago. Since then I swapped the rear diff for a D44 that has no ABS sensors so I'm commited now. And glad of it.

I could be wrong, but I thought that because of all the problems with the ABS Jeep made these lifetime warranty. Might be worth checking with the stealership?

the entire abs system has been replaces 2 times by previous owners the last time maby 6 months ago at the most and there is still has this horrible squeaking sound.....i have been told the lifetime warenty is only on the pump i believe it isn't on anything else. i want to put a standard brake system in so i don't have to worry about it all failing or acting up i was just wondering what a good replacement is and if it was hard to do.

Most guys who get fed up with old-style ABS (and the non-comprehensive "lifetime" warranty that is offer by Chryco) solve the problem by ripping out all the ABS specific parts and replacing them with the non-ABS parts from the same model year or thereabouts.

This means, if I remember correctly, replacing the master cylinder, power booster, and the hard lines that connect to it.

Do a search on Bendix ABS and you'll find all sorts of info, including conversion tips.

The master cilinder and abs pump/motor assembly are covered by a lifetime warranty as part of recall 702.

All good advice here. The "Wrrrtttt" noise is normal. The lifetime warranty is non-comprehensive, and parts are quickly becoming unavailable. If you've decided to convert it to conventional brakes, it really isn't that hard.

On my 91, I went with a Master Cylinder / Booster / Portioning valve and brake pedal out of a 95/96 - (these have a dual diaphram booster and offer more stopping power) probably not necessary but consider the stopping with the standard 91 brakes isn't that great.

I took the whole unit as an assembly out of the donor vehicle, cutting the lines and taking all the fittings. Flared and bent my lines, reused fittings, and avoided buying any fittings or lines. Depending on the condition of your lines, then may break when bent, and you'll have to replace them. I had a friend do the flaring for me, it's a little tricky. Also, the rear brake cylinders should be replaced (yours will be smaller as they are ABS specific).

I talked to 2 "Jeep Only" shops about doing the work, one wouldn't convert it (some BS about liability and the VIN), the other wanted about $600, it cost me about $150 for the conversion parts (new parts would have been quite a bit more). The stopping power (and reliability) is much improved. The only thing I lost is the red light indicating I have the emergency brake set - I just keep it adjusted correctly so, there is no driving off with it still set.

Search the forums.

I bought a 97 MC and prop valve I had to change fittings on the lines to match the metric treads on the new MC and other than that some careful bending I was all set. YOU MUST BENCH BLEED THE MC PRIOR TO INSTALLATION the thing will get some air in there and make life miserable (been there) if you don't. I paid $80 for the MC/booster/prop valve and beyond that it was just brake fluid, time and energy. I did pay a shop $60 to bench bleed the MC and the system after I had it in. I need to replace my front rubber lines as they are weak but other than that I love it. I have the old stuff in the shed just in case someone wants it but it will never be on my jeep again. If you want any tips send me a PM.
asat

Back