• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding criuse control to a XJ that don't have it

Jamieinnh

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone tell me how difficult, or what kind of challenge I will have adding cruise control to my XJ.

I have a 1993 Cherokee, and it doesn't have CC, but I do travel a good deal in it, and would like to have CC for the trips.

Has anyone ever put CC in a Cherokee that didn't have it factory installed? Can you tell me what the CC is made up of? Can I buy the pieces and put it in myself? or is this a job for the professional?

Thanks for any comments/suggestions helpful tips.

Jamie

Not a problem at all. I had a 93 sport w/o CC. I bought the CC kit from the dealership and installed myself in no time. The wires and connectors were already in the main wiring harness. The hardest part was fishing the wires through the steering column and replacing the turn signal lever (because I'm a spaz). Just mount the vaccum motor, hook up the vaccum line and actuator cable, plug it into the harness plug and cruise. Only problem is that the dealer may not stock the OEM kit anymore. An aftermarket kits should work fine too.

Thanks for the help. I will have to look into an OEM kit. That website you sent me to is awesome. A lot of my money will be going there I feel... :)

Thanks again for the help!

Jamie

I used that hand throttle thing on my CJ back in the day. Actually worked pretty good as long as the road was fairly level. It just isn't near as safe as the real thing.

I have gotten a few tings from Jeeps are us as well. they have ebay auctions too, store name Jeepsareus

I haven't ordered the kit yet. I found a place with a OEM kit for $160, I am going to order it in the next few days.

After it arrives, and I "attempt" to put it in, I will let you know..

Jamie

Jamie,
That explains it. My '01 required a kit that costs $250. This after getting head scratches and "it can't be done" or "it can, but it will be expensive" from virtually EVERY TECH, dealership, bone yard, and parts house I talked to around here.

sbm

What about transplanting the cruise control components from another Jeep of the same vintage? Wouldn't that work?

I was thinking about take the cruise out of my donor '87 Laredo to install in my '89. If the wires are already there in the harness, I would think it would be a piece of cake. Yeah right! LOL

sbmackie said:
Jamie,
That explains it. My '01 required a kit that costs $250. This after getting head scratches and "it can't be done" or "it can, but it will be expensive" from virtually EVERY TECH, dealership, bone yard, and parts house I talked to around here.

sbm
I can't understand that..
I bought the OE kit from jeepsareus for $250 and had the dealer install for another $150
don't like dealing with airbags

O1' 2dr, stock and stayin' that way...for now

Last edited:
I just bought the Jeepsrus CC kit for my 1991 MJ, it looks fairly simple except how in Gods name did you guys route the electrical cable from the new turn signal/CC unit through the steering column? The instructions mention a "special tool" but it looks like tool or not that part of the install is going to be a pain.

Feeding the wire through will be the most difficult part. I don't remember using a special tool but I do remember it being a pain. You might try using a peice of thin spring or piano wire. Feed it through the column and use it to fish the wire through.

anybody know when they switched from turn signal to in-wheel controls?
My 96 has the blanks for the in-wheel. I want a stalk control and I'd like to see if its feasable to go with an older OEM or aftermarket..

Back