• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hitch mounted tire carrier

ChandlerXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was driving around today, and I spotted a sick lifted XJ with a rear tire carrier that was built onto the existing hitch... does anyone know where to get one of these or how to make one? It was really nice and had a 33'' mudder on it, the guy had his music up so we didn't even notice me waving my arms all about to try to talk to him... ugh... i need one of these.. i got too many tools in my cargo area!!

a quick question to you .if your tools are in the cargo area and you put a hitch mounted tire mount on,how are you going to get to them?you are eitehr going to be going over the back seat a lot or removing a tire and carrier all the time.

its an idea to get by but nothing i would want to keep on the truck.it defeats the point. you want to have it incase you have a blow out but yet you want to be able to get into your cargo area/trunk.second having that thing stick out from the bottom like that is going to kill departure angle .

Quadratec has them. ~ $70.

I threw this one together in a couple of hours before taking an 8hr trip to Colorado because I needed a spare, didn't have room inside, and sure as heck wasn't putting it on the roof. If I had more time, I would have made it a swing away because it was a bit of a pain taking it off to get in the back (which I didn't need to do very much). The strap isn't because I was worried about it falling off, it is there to keep the dang thing from rattling. There is a good bit of slop when using the hitch, so it would move side to side, up and down, and rotate. The strap stops the up and down. As you can see, the mount extends to the left, where it also attaches to the side of the hitch, which takes care of the side to side and rotational movement. I don't have any better pictures, but I will try to get some later today or tomorrow.

100_0469.jpg

100_0396.jpg

100_0393.jpg

I ran one for a while, but while it freed up the cargo space, it still was nearly unusable because I couldn't open the liftgate without pulling the mount... I wouldn't do it again. just my $.02

I don't have the hitch mounted, I've got the Custom4x4fabrications swing away, and, even that thing is a pain. Having to swing it out each time i have to get into the back, which, with work, is quite often. So, if you do ever use your back hatch, i wouldn't suggest mounting into the hitch. Cause, you would have to pull it out of the hitch each time you need something from the back. Unless you like trying to squeeze inbetween the back doors.

Tylor

Just a thought. What I have seen done on bike rack style hitch mounts, is using a pivot at the bottom of the the vertical bar with a lock pin, then just swing the tire down to access the hatch. You have to step over it but at least you dont HAVE to remove it each time to quickly get in the hatch. Could still remove it if you need less obstructed access, but then less frequently. Don't know how well this would work with a heavy tire though, compared to a couple of bicycles.

pyroberns said:
Just a thought. What I have seen done on bike rack style hitch mounts, is using a pivot at the bottom of the the vertical bar with a lock pin, then just swing the tire down to access the hatch. You have to step over it but at least you dont HAVE to remove it each time to quickly get in the hatch. Could still remove it if you need less obstructed access, but then less frequently. Don't know how well this would work with a heavy tire though, compared to a couple of bicycles.
i built this one

rearfolded.jpg

jeep3.jpg

if i was to do it again, id do away with the extended reciever sticking out. it killed my approach angle. its just sittin in my garage now.

That's pretty sweet! Just hope noone pulls up behind you. Looks good!!

Tylor

olivedrabcj7 said:
i built this one

rearfolded.jpg

jeep3.jpg

if i was to do it again, id do away with the extended reciever sticking out. it killed my DEPARTURE angle. its just sittin in my garage now.

fixed it for ya...

no. it was right the first time. i wheel backwards.

olivedrabcj7 said:
no. it was right the first time. i wheel backwards.

:laugh3::laugh2:

Just a quick thought. What about mounting it in front if you have a 2" reciever there anyways. I seem to recall a lot of full size truck owners doing that back in the 80's.

willys64 said:
Just a quick thought. What about mounting it in front if you have a 2" reciever there anyways. I seem to recall a lot of full size truck owners doing that back in the 80's.

or mount it on the hood!?!

search for a thread called "Where to mount the spare"

very thurough discussion with pics and a poll to boot!

i have a ball mount hitch reciever... if i weld a square reciever underneath my ball mount, would this work if i bought that carrier from quadratec? I wouldn't tow anything with the square mount, i never tow anyways ...

spending $90 on a hidden hitch is a good idea...

it will give you a soild rear tow point as well...

Back