• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible New B--few questions

Stouttrout

NAXJA Member #1282
Well I may be making the switch from a very capable CJ to, what I hear is a capable XJ. I know very little about XJ's but the wife likes them and we now have a family. Since it has AC---She is all over it. I have built two CJ's and I would say I am mecanically inclined. Engine swaps, Axle swaps, Etc. So here it is, a brief description. I will looking at it friday.

2000 Xj Classic--It has 8 inch rustys off road suspension lift,15x10 weld rims, 35x12.50 tires. It has a 4.0 in it. Anything I should look for?

I wander if I could get you guys to check out a few pics. I know the steering geometry is off. He has bump steer. They used no drop pitman arm and from the pics the track bar seems off. what do you guys think?

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/674000-674999/674550_40_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/674000-674999/674550_42_full.jpg

By the way if anyone wants to see my build up of the CJ8 you can at:

http://www.cardomain.com/profile/stouttrout

I think I should have posted this in the modified section. Oh well, Like I said I am the New Guy :)

sorry, i have limited knowledge on steering geometry, but from what i can tell the lines of the drag link and trac bar are parallel. maybe just needs an alignment pretty bad. i'm about to purchase the 6.5" from rustys and i did alot of research on the use of a drop pitman arm. from what i've gathered, as long as the lines with the drag link and trac bar are right then you dont need a drop p. arm. i've noticed quite a few people that just relocated the mounting point for their trac bar and that seemed to work just fine. i would definately pick up that xj as long as the price is reasonable!! really just posting to say welcome and that i was born and raised in southeast tx (bridge city). nice to see some people from my home area are on here.

Thanks for the Reply Gotmine. I am really looking forward to owning an XJ. It didn't take the wife long to talk me into owning one; eventhough I just got done with the two CJ's. I owned an MJ in high school for one year. It was a 2wd but was one of the best vehicles I had. I grew up in Houston. Spring Branch area. Now live in Sour Lake. Thanks for the welcome. Glad to be here. Hope to be spending alot more time here.

Last edited:
Hmmm....the 1st thing I would tell you to look for is another one....8" lift is a bunch for an XJ, and I am not a fan of buying pre-built vehicles.

BUT...

In the intrest of actually trying to help...I would check the following:

They look like stock axles, have the gears been changed to allow for the bigger tires?
Thats allot of meat for stock axles.

Check ALL the suspension componants for hidden cracks, pay close attention to the upper and lower front links. Rusty "seems" to have issues there, not bashing Rusty...I would check it with any manufacturer at that lift.

It should not need dual stabilizers, is he trying to correct an issue? If he still has bump steer with duals there is something wrong. Check all the steering linkages and suspension parts for slop.

I am sure others will jump in here, that is all that jumps into my head right now. Personnaly....I would walk away, unless it a killer deal, clean stock XJ's are all over, find a unbuilt one and go to it.

JMHO

Rev

1st, what do YOU want it for? Mall Crawl, Off-Road? Dual Sport?
This will determine what you need it to be inside and how much improvement you need to add to it for your application.

I checked the Rustys site to see what kind of lift this was.
Looks like a long-arm kit and came with a droped Pitman and HD trackbar, but no trackbar mount ; though a trackbarr mount reinforcing bracket is included.

A SYE is recomended for use with this kit (Actualy some sort of SYE at this height and year is a MUST). What SYE kit did he use, or is the drive line a coble of parts?

Yah, why all the stablizers? Good Question.

Was this installed at a 4WD dealer, or did he do the work himself? Jpw many "miles" on the install.

Rev is right on about the gears. If this is a mall crawler he may not have changed gears
Also...Original D30/D35 or D30/8.25" Axle? Original axle shafts on a D30 with 35' tires?
Same with D35. Locker? One/Both axles or open/LSD? If he locked it and didn't upgrade the axles, with 35's you best bring spares if Off-Roading it (Drivers side front ESP)

As with anything, buying a used vehicle can be like buying someone elses problem, or it can be a great joy. Crawl all over it and as Rev said, look for cracks and obvious bad stuff.
Unlike John Muir though, I don't recomend that you sit on it and meditate to get it's Karma :laugh3:

Bargain in my mind would be if you can get it at the stock XJ price. Chances are that he "wants his money out of it" though (don't we all ! :laugh3: ). Eamine what he has, what you need to add to it (if anything) to fit your application, and try not to pay too much.

Enjoy!
,Ron

Steering arm needs dropped as well as the tracbar. The angle is forcing a side to side every time you hit a bump. (couldn't really tell till I took your pic and adjusted the brightness with Viewbooth) Anything over 6" on an XJ should have long arms put in for strength and flexibility. Can't tell if the control arms on there are stock or not?
I'm running 5" with stock upper, but extended lower. I need adjustable uppers before I finish my lift to 6" (to match my '87 Comanche's SOA) Did they change the brake hoses? If not, then they will become limiting straps. (I put '87 YJ ones on mine, which are a couple inches longer)
I'd definitely add a steering box brace or the frame will tear out sooner than later.

Okay I will see if I can answer all of these. I check with Edmund and with NADA. I will be buying th vehicle below the average. well below with no adds. So I am pretty comfy with the price. There is no bump steer now with the two Stabilizers, but I still think there is an issue to be addresses. All the works was done by a fairly reputable 4wd drive shop. I like to do the work myself. If you check out my CJ8 you know that. Engine swap, Axle swap heck most of the Jeep is Ford or Chevy now :). I call it my F-n-Cheep. The only reason I am buying it already done is strictly the price.

Gears where done but not sure what. I will check that out. I believe it is a d30/8.25. SYE kit was installed but again nt sure of the brand. He thought is was made by some place in La. I think it would have to JBconversion if so. Can you tell this guy had "Mall Rated" all over this Jeep. It never went off road. All show. I asked him if he ever tried to flex it to see what it would do and he said, "Yeah, I drove it up on a cement block that was about a foot high----It flexed great." -----Clueless.

The brake lines where also replace with stainless longer ones. I will be using it as a very part time daily driver and for light trail. Nothing more than about a 3.

Now onto Axles, I have a passenger drop d44 out of a Waggy or J10 and I have a rear d44 to match. Would these be good canidates for a swap? They are wider and would stick the tires out a bit but only about 3" on each side. I really don;t like getting to wide. Texas has no tire coverage laws so 3" will not matter.

What do you about it overall now?

You need a driver's drop front axle unless you are swapping Tcase too. '80 and newer FSJ have what you want. D44 front (avoid vacuum ones or convert to 1 piece or shift cable) and Model 20 with 1 piece axles, thicker tubes (it's NOT the weak puppy found in CJs) If you find an '87 to '91 Grand Wagoneer, they went back to D44 rear. Swap it for an M20 and resell the GW.

Yep, that is what I meant. I am still working on the CJ in my mind. The HD 20 is nice. I have a freind running one hard in a YJ.

anything else? I aheaded to look at it at 8 a.m. With any luck it will be on the trailer headed home at about 1 pm. Any last words :0.

Dan

Sounds like an interesting project.
Swap in a couple of Crome Moly front axle shafts (and outters) and call it good :)
Enjoy the new Toy :)

Well, I am a new owner :)

on the 2k and 2k1 you have a lp d30 front axle. if it's stock. you can't change to a hp unless you want to change manifolds. that's a whole other write up. the rear is the 8.25 29 spline which is a good axle and if your not hammering it on trails you will probably be fine running it with 35's the d30 front is also a very reputable axle 35's will be straining it but as long as your not offroad alot you'll probably be ok. (hub repair a good possibility) i'm with the other guys as far as not buying a built rig. but that's us. i can't really see the pics to well but you will definatley need a 3'' drop pitman arm for 8'' of lift and long arms are a must with 6'' and over. a steering box brace is also a must. you will enjoy owning an XJ and hopefully tommorrow i can welcome you to the club.

I am officially an XJ owner. It has a few issues and I will probably intrduce myself and list them. I want to research some them first. nothing major. the most major one is the oil pressure gauge. when I turn the Jeep on it just goes to full open 80+psi. I had this happen on another vehicle and it was the sending unit. i am hoping it is that. The Price was right. Very right:)

Stouttrout said:
I am officially an XJ owner. It has a few issues and I will probably intrduce myself and list them. I want to research some them first. nothing major. the most major one is the oil pressure gauge. when I turn the Jeep on it just goes to full open 80+psi. I had this happen on another vehicle and it was the sending unit. i am hoping it is that. The Price was right. Very right:)
It could just be a bad connection at the sender. Check the terminals for looseness.

K

Back