• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gps

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking to find some nice maps to use on my gps. I know that garmin topo 24k offers 4x4 trails but ive also heard some bad reviews. Not so much from jeepers but hiker i.e hard to follow trails.

Any ideas or preferences?

mavrick said:
Im looking to find some nice maps to use on my gps. I know that garmin topo 24k offers 4x4 trails but ive also heard some bad reviews. Not so much from jeepers but hiker i.e hard to follow trails.

Any ideas or preferences?

Do you already have a gps? If so you can only load maps onto it from teh manufacturer: as in Magellan gps can only use Magellan maps and Garmin gps can use Garmin maps. The exception is if you're using it realtime with a laptop on which you have different mapping software loaded and the gps is only providing a location. In a reverse situation, you can use a differnt mapping software to come up with waypoints and routes which you can then upload to the gps but those would only be overlayed on top of the maps that the GPS has loaded into it.

Kejtar said:
Do you already have a gps? If so you can only load maps onto it from teh manufacturer: as in Magellan gps can only use Magellan maps and Garmin gps can use Garmin maps. The exception is if you're using it realtime with a laptop on which you have different mapping software loaded and the gps is only providing a location. In a reverse situation, you can use a differnt mapping software to come up with waypoints and routes which you can then upload to the gps but those would only be overlayed on top of the maps that the GPS has loaded into it.

Ya, i have a garmin 196 primary function is for aviation so i guess im stuck with garmin products?

Back