• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pump pickup tube

urban_offroader

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. I've got a '90 XJ with 4.0, auto, and 233k on the clock.

After much searching on my low oil pressure problem, I've decided to replace my rod and crank bearings and oil pump. I'm also doing the rear main while I'm at it.

Here's the question:
How do I press the oil pump pickup tube into the body of the pump? Is this something I have to have a shop do? I'm hesitant to take the BFH approach for fear of crushing the tube.

I took an open ended wrench just big enough to slide over the tube, . I put the tube in the hole, slid the wrench over the tube, and then used a hammer on the side of the wrench to drive the tube in the block.

urban_offroader said:
I'm hoping to get going on this job tonight... Does anyone who's done this before have any pearls of wisdom to share?
How tight is the fit? I had someone stop by my place a while ago with a pickup and a pump that wouldn't go in. I took a caliper and it turned out that the pickup was too big and had to be slightly sanded down. Even then it still wouldn't want to go in so I made a wooden jig for it and attached it using hose clamps and then used my press to press it in. I think this was the extreme end of not fitting, as I'm told that they are supposed to go in tight but without so much work.

try the hot and cold method, put the housing in the oven at highest temp for about 45 minutes put the tube in the freezer for a few hours or in my case till my girlfriend asks what the hell is this and quickly pu t the 2 together may take a couple trys but ive done it more than a few times on chevy's

I probably had the same brand of pump and my pickup tube measures .005in. over the ID of the hole i sanded it until it was close and used the open end wrench method.

Back