• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Revolver shackles for rear?

i reccomend that you buy them from here

or here

discussion at length on revolver shackles here

I ran a scissor type shackle a few years back....lots of droop but I found they were only for show. Off-road performance went down.

Anyone I know that has installed them has taken them out....concensus was they look good and allow the truck to ramp nice but suck off-road.

Bender said:
I ran a scissor type shackle a few years back....lots of droop but I found they were only for show. Off-road performance went down.

Anyone I know that has installed them has taken them out....concensus was they look good and allow the truck to ramp nice but suck off-road.

The revlover is much more than a scissor shackle, the revlover set up correctly will improve y9our off road performance in most catagories, tht being said, it takes replacing shocks, bumpstops, brake lines and installing a limiting strap to the pumpkin to get the best performance.

Most guys who try them throw them on and then WISH for the results. They are like anyother mod they need to be dialed in to work.. I ran mine for 4 years and they are still on my old rig class 5 trails all the time. Its been 7 years now and still working fine

The only negative was the shackle folding forward during hard climbs....that was curred with a small bump stop installed on the frame where the V of the shackle iwould hit.

I would use them again.

I have the revolver shackles on my XJ for the last 4 years. I have no complaints with them and they haven't made my offroad performance worse, I would assume that they have helped my springs last longer (4+ years old) by not twisting the springs as bad when flexing. Don't know how much droop I get because my shocks currently limit the amount of travel I get. Thought I heard before that it was roughly 9" from eye to eye if they were to open all the way.

barillms said:
Enough with the "Do a search" links - I did... DAMN! Web Geek is an understatement! 3,398 POSTS, whew!

He has been here awhile and is sick and tired of noobs asking q's that have been answered several thousand times in the past few months but are too lazy to try the search....hassling old timers is not a good way to gain respect, try a search next time

revlover search

It's been a while so I don't recall the exact problems associated with them...however I do believe those running them noticed increased axle wrap and wheel hop. If you already have a traction bar of some sort this may not be an issue.

if you did do a search, you would have seen this has been talked about over and over over and over and over and over and over and over....:twak:
barillms said:
Enough with the "Do a search" links - I did... DAMN! Web Geek is an understatement! 3,398 POSTS, whew!

Bender said:
It's been a while so I don't recall the exact problems associated with them...however I do believe those running them noticed increased axle wrap and wheel hop. If you already have a traction bar of some sort this may not be an issue.

jWhy do you answer to a post when you have no clue? Its more annoying than not searching!

How's this.......

I DID have trouble with more axle wrap because the shackle would start to open when I was in a high traction situation. In addition to this I DID have trouble with extra wheel hop as the extra axle wrap would cause a bounce that would cause the shackle to open and close.

Those I've run trails with using the revolvers have had the same problems.

Unforuntately they DID have other problems however I can't remember them at this time.

Bender said:
How's this.......

I DID have trouble with more axle wrap because the shackle would start to open when I was in a high traction situation. In addition to this I DID have trouble with extra wheel hop as the extra axle wrap would cause a bounce that would cause the shackle to open and close.

Those I've run trails with using the revolvers have had the same problems.

Unforuntately they DID have other problems however I can't remember them at this time.

All thiat means is the rest of your setup sucked, and was not matched for teh revolvers, you threw em on and expected perfection....

Wow xjnation....you've really got it out for me eh?

So because I didn't have my setup tailored for the revolvers my experiences aren't relevant? I threw them on to test them out...I had very little expectations as my setup was already working great the way it was.

Has the person asking for peoples experiences and opinion stated he wanted only good ones?

Chances are his truck may not be setup perfectly for the revolvers either so it is possible he may have the same issues I did. Is that when we tell him his setups sucks and to fix his truck to make the revolvers work properly?

He can take my experiences for what they are...my experiences.

Bender said:
Wow xjnation....you've really got it out for me eh?

So because I didn't have my setup tailored for the revolvers my experiences aren't relevant? I threw them on to test them out...I had very little expectations as my setup was already working great the way it was.

Has the person asking for peoples experiences and opinion stated he wanted only good ones?

Chances are his truck may not be setup perfectly for the revolvers either so it is possible he may have the same issues I did. Is that when we tell him his setups sucks and to fix his truck to make the revolvers work properly?

He can take my experiences for what they are...my experiences.

I just find it funy that in your first post it is all about others...then the follow up about YOU.....musta been a wording issue....Im not saying your experiences are not valid just that you did not do what was needed to make them work correctly, (even teraflex states in their literature that shocks etc will need to be changed) which I see you did not do. I was explaining to the thread starter yes they work, but you need to make em work.

Actually my shocks were angle inwards on custom mounts and even the revolvers wouldn't extend them to their end of travel.

The issues I had were not with their droop....as they do that well. I was with some "quirks" I found which I attribute to the revolver design itself.

However everyone wheels different trials with a different style so it is quite possible some may not notice these issues. My local trails have a lot of muddy steep rocky climbs with steep descents. I perfered the stability of the standard style shackle setup....although I have now modified all mounts of my rear suspension to deliver almost identical travel of a revolver without the "quirks".

HHmmm....this is off-topic of the original question but I'll explain my setup a little and hopefully the original poster doesn't mind.

The main change was boxing in the rear frame side shackle mount and re-locating the shackle mounts downwards and forwards.

Here is a pic from a few years ago...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/64838123/70343261CHaGmc

This has been down by quite a few people and seems to have yielded good results for all. I'm sure a search will show some good pics of others setups as well.

In addition to this I tried using various lengths shackles and with the two mounting options shown in the pic I was able to mount the shackle at my desired angle accounting for the amount of gear and stuff in my truck... i.e. more gear, the heavier the truck, the more the springs have flattened so I'll use the rear mount.

This mod will rotate the rear axle pointing the pinion more upwards so it works will with a SYE...without you may have to shim it back down to get proper driveline geometry.

In order to get more travel out of my shocks I raised the axle mounts so they don't hand up on rocks...
http://community.webshots.com/photo/64838123/71467800zkBzBO
and angled the shocks in toward the center of the truck mounting them to a custom shock bar running between the frame rails.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/64838123/71467817sixSpP
Matching the shock length to your lift height will net quite a bit of droop with this setup....at least enough for my setup.

The leaf packs I'm using are 3.5" RE packs with chevy S10 main leafs in them to help support the main leaf a little more. I've also dropped my front leaf spring mount down about 1" so in total this setup gives about 6" or lift give or take. With adequate fender chopping more than enough to fit 35's nicely.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the flex....seems I'm always taking shots of others and never of myself.

Last edited:
Back