• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing my '00 4.0l

KaHOnas

NAXJA Forum User
I have been doing some research and have come to the conclusion that I have a micro-crack in my 0331 cast head on my 4.0l. Therefore, I want to replace my entire engine...I don't know what kind of damage has been done running with contaminated oil for this long.

Does anyone have any idea of the best way to go regarding a new motor? If I do end up completely replacing the engine, I refuse to get one with the 0331 head. I am not going to drop another $3k+ 50,000 miles down the road.

Also, is anyone aware of anything Chrysler has done/said about his problem? I know I'm not the only 2000/2001 4.0l Jeep Cherokee with low - zero oil pressure. Not hopeful here, but it's worth askin'.

Thanks in advance.

XgeekstarX said:
call up advance auto parts. i can get a new 4.0 for my 92 for about 1300-1500 depending on the head casting. PM me and i can give you the info to get my employee discount.

Watch out for the advance engine, I got mine with the 'extended warranty' and 2 yrs and aprox 8k street miles later, the head cracked.

They made me jump through hoops to get the replacement parts and then stiffed me on the labor reimbursement coverage, which wouldn't even have been enough to cover the diagnosis, let alone the repair ( 300 total for any claim).

When I pulled the head and had it pressure tested, the machine shop put it IN WRITING that it was apparently a repaired crack in the head, and a poorly done repair at that.

Recon engines are a low price, but it's a crap-shoot as to what you'll get...

I havent heard anything bad about jasper engines, but have no first hand experience with them. from what i remember it was a few hundred more than advance.

just my $.02

ECU88XJ said:
Watch out for the advance engine, I got mine with the 'extended warranty' and 2 yrs and aprox 8k street miles later, the head cracked.

They made me jump through hoops to get the replacement parts and then stiffed me on the labor reimbursement coverage, which wouldn't even have been enough to cover the diagnosis, let alone the repair ( 300 total for any claim).

When I pulled the head and had it pressure tested, the machine shop put it IN WRITING that it was apparently a repaired crack in the head, and a poorly done repair at that.

Recon engines are a low price, but it's a crap-shoot as to what you'll get...

I havent heard anything bad about jasper engines, but have no first hand experience with them. from what i remember it was a few hundred more than advance.

just my $.02

good thing to know. i've always been really iffy on those mass reman'd engines. you know they have to cut corners somewhere.

If the problem is the head, why do you need a whole new engine? Go find a #7120 or #0630 head, and swap the top end.

No sense in doing more work/spending more money than you really have to. As I recall, the intake and exhaust will bolt over from the 0331 to the 7120 or 0630.

After you've done that, if there's no core involved, where are you? I've been trying to collect a set of heads that I can section for further analysis and experimentation.

5-90

5-90 said:
If the problem is the head, why do you need a whole new engine? Go find a #7120 or #0630 head, and swap the top end.

No sense in doing more work/spending more money than you really have to. As I recall, the intake and exhaust will bolt over from the 0331 to the 7120 or 0630.

After you've done that, if there's no core involved, where are you? I've been trying to collect a set of heads that I can section for further analysis and experimentation.

5-90

I suppose I'm just afraid of more problems due to the low oil pressure problem. It might be overkill, but I'm just trying to get rid of the problem the first time. I might be over-reacting though.

I'm in LA (Lower Alabama), Fort Rucker, to be exact.

If you've been losing coolant into the oil through the cracked head for some time, the contaminated oil wouldn't lubricate the bearings properly so you may find that the rod/main/cam bearings are badly worn causing low oil pressure.

Back